Mica scandal and the culpability of the state

SF are really funny making this a political issue. 'Nobody can be expected to rebuild a house in the back end of Donegal for €420,000'...
In fairness to them they are thinking about the bunkers and arms dumps in their holiday homes.
Does this scheme cover UK residents with holiday homes?
Maybe we could allow old Northern Bank notes to be used for any repairs in Donegal. That might keep the Shinners happy.

A new 2,400 sq foot house for 65k

sign.me.up
If someone told me they would knock and rebuild my mid-90s house to the same spec for €65k I would bite their hand off. I'd get a much better energy rating, new windows and bathrooms, total rewiring, a new roof, new boiler and central heating. I'd even get a top-up mortgage for it.

My house is a lot smaller than 2,400sqft too

In fairness, a lot of these people will still have to pay off their outstanding mortgage. Having said that, the price to build is astonishing me given that they already have the site, utilities and can (if they put their mind to it) salvage some of the fittings from the house. It makes a bit of a mockery of the arguement that one of the reasons house prices are so high in this country is due to the price of the site. And whilst I am glad that it is not me, I struggle to find sympathy for someone playing the poor mouth who had built a 4000 sq foot house for 4 people.

I think this letter to the Irish Times captured the mood quite well!
Sir, – I am becoming forgetful as I age. I had no recollection of owning any banks until they collapsed and I got a share of the bill.

I had no recollection of building any houses from paper mache bricks until they collapsed and I got that bill too.

I don’t recall ever buying a cow, but other people’s private property is now the “national herd” and I am worried another bill is coming.

– Yours, etc,

FRANK NEENAN,

Tullow Road,

Carlow.

I think this letter to the Irish Times captured the mood quite well!
In fairness Frank didn't get a share of the Bill, he just had to replace other people's savings or, as it was called, "recapitalise the banks".
80% of Beef farmers incomes already come from handouts so effectively Beef Farming is a big EU funded FÁS scheme.

The poor people of Donegal, with their €235K houses which are almost twice the size of the national average, clearly know all about value already.

Back