Mgmt company preventing short term lets

To lodge a complaint with the planning authority?

Does planning not apply to the development as a whole rather than each individual apartment? Would the OMC not effectively be making a complaint against itself and be still left in a position where it would need to take action against the apartment owner?

Interesting piece in today's Irish Times: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/...bnb-dublin-s-most-lucrative-rentals-1.3290592

No doubt they quote the extremes, but the general point is clear enough: this is increasingly a full-scale business. Again, I'd have no objections to this as a business in an appropriate location in the same way I'd have no objections to someone building a hotel down the road from me: the more visitors to an area, the more vitality and overall business for everyone. However, I'd have a big issue if the building in which my apartment was located was transformed from residences to what is effectively a hotel, minus the on-site staff to manage it.

I thinki it entirely reasonable for apartment leases to have the kinds of restrictions mentioned by the OP.

Based on history of such cases to date (example), the management company are almost certain to win the case. Planning permission is required to change use from residential to short term let.

Having units that are let short term may cause issues with the block insurance.

They might win but the company might not have the funds to pay the legal fees to take the case in the first place. It could just be a practical blocker to this. The letter they have sent so far is free, anymore spend would have to be director approved. Doesn't really address the issue but by default could stop this going any further. Just a thought.

They might win but the company might not have the funds to pay the legal fees to take the case in the first place.

Sarenco is spot on. Any legal fees the result would be initially borne by the local authority, and they would ultimately seek these be paid by the apartment owner.

At what point do you go "I'm breaking the rules of my lease so instead of trying to wrangle a way out of it I'm just going to stop" or does that attitude just not apply in this country any more.

There is a perception that when you buy a property it is yours to do with as you please. This is partially true for a freehold property and totally untrue for a leasehold.

If you buy a freehold property, there are many limitations on what you may do with it. These are generally well known and people do not resent them as they are so well established.

If you buy a leasehold property, you can effectively do nothing with it except what is permitted under the lease. As this type of property has become more common in recent years with the rise of apartment living people are only beginning to come to terms with the restrictions on how you can use your leasehold property.

Buying an apartment is just buying the right to use the property for a limited set of purposes, you do not actually own much.

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the only option is to put it back on the market and rent long term. However this makes me pretty nervous considering what tenants can get away with, for example if they just stop paying the rent, change the locks etc.

I know most tenants are probably fine but something like this could happen. What protection do LLs have if a tenant stops paying the rent? From what I've read the LL has to chase them through the courts which could potentially take several months.

Does anyone have any experience of this, and is there any way to protect against something like this happening?

Just rent the apartment to someone: there’s a housing crisis.

The mgmt company is dead right to stop AirBnB. The noise, random people coming day and night.

Let the property, there’s people who need it.

Get a good tenant and they won’t do that. I changed locks once when a LL kept entering the property. I gave him the new keys when I moved out. He didn’t realise he was breaking an entry by walking in off his own bat.

Get good, professional tenants. Treat them fairly, as in; leave them alone, get things fixed and you’ll be fine.

I’d say in a lot of horror stories the LL’s conduct was partly to blame. That’s if the stories are even true.

Just rent the apartment to someone: there’s a housing crisis.

I prefer to rent short term as there's more income which allows me pay off my mortgage quicker, and also covers the thousands I spent renovating the place over the years. Plus I need to stay there a few times a year for work, couldn't do this if it was rented long term.

Get good, professional tenants.

How exactly do I do that? I had what I thought were good tenants in the past.. one night they ripped the fire extinguishers off the walls and started spraying each other with them. Another set of tenants left without paying the final 2 months rent and left the place in a state, including holes punched in doors and a broken window. Like I said previously, in four years of short term rental I never had a minute's trouble and my neighbours never had any reason to complain.

I’d say in a lot of horror stories the LL’s conduct was partly to blame. That’s if the stories are even true.

I know people that had nightmare tenants including friends that rented to a couple that were both members of the gardai. They didn't pay rent for several months and my friend eventually had to go to the tenant's supervisor to recover the lost rent. An example of your "good professional tenants".

Back