Metric morning

N

Natchessmen

Thought we had a thread on this but couldn't find it

"well sir the distance signs are (usually) in km except the really old ones which are still in miles, whilst the speed signs are all in miles...."

I remember having to say this to some tourists a number of years ago and thinking we really do live in a banana republic.

This is a welcome change.

Are the distance signs being replaced also, or will we now be stuck with mile distances on signposts - this is one thing which will cause confusion down the line. Just imagine some of our more 'exact' European neighbours thinking they have 60KM to go to a city, driving for an hour at 60KM/H on a brand new road and finding they still have 15KM to go at the end of the hour. This does not compute.

z

To be fair I'm not sure we have (m)any imperial distance signs left. Do you know any examples? The quote I gave is a few years old.

And hows your Binnacle this morning ........?

Hi NatCh, And hows your Binnacle this morning? Sealed i hope.

Its great to see the change. I think all the old mile signposts will be replaced over the next few months. Thats if the theme pub trophy hunters have not got them all already.

Is there a web site you can go to which explains the rationale behind some of the more bizzare limits?

ajapale

The councils will actually be free to sell the old signs if there is a demand to buy them...

Re: .. Old Mile signs

I know where there are some old mile distance signs... on the N25 between Wexford Town and New Ross in a place called Ballinaboola (about 8-9km before New Ross) - this is a major road (main road from Rosslare to Cork) but Wexford County Council has seen it fit to leave these ancient signs in place.

Of course in a typically Irish fashion they are intermixed with km distance signs.

So much for the Model County...

Maybe I'm imagining it, but aren't they all over the place ?

The black and white pointy signs - there's certainly a few along Morehampton Road/N11 coming through Donnybrook - one in particular that tells us it is 7 1/2 miles to Bray or something.

Or maybe it is a figment of my memory burned into my brain after too many years passing it. Must check again next time I pass there.

z

Some of these old signs are in Irish Miles. and where do the signs to Dublin measure is it Dublin county or An Lar should it not be to the spire in Kilometers.
Roger

should it not be to the spire in Kilometers
It should be mandated so from now on. Would provide some clarity on all those housing developments all over the country that are 'just 30 minutes from Dublin'...

Little yellow distance markers along highways

Does anyone know what the little square yellow signs spread evenly along major highways are for? and are they in miles or kilometers?

ajapale

Re: Little yellow distance markers along highways

Does anyone know what the little square yellow signs spread evenly along major highways are for? and are they in miles or kilometers?
I think they are for the co councils benefit. Instead of saying "we'll fill the potholes from Murphy's house to the GAA field" they can quote the marker numbers on these things. Can't remember what units they use, must check the milage next time I'm passing them.

Mile signposts

I checked this morning and there is definitely a set of old distance posts (or whatever you call them) on Morehampton road telling all road users that Dun Laoghaire is 5 1/2 miles and Bray is 10 3/4 miles away.

I guess I just saw them and assumed they were all around the place, but while out driving over the weekend I kept an eye out and I only saw KM distances elsewhere.

z

Re: Mile signposts

I walked to work in metric this morning and felt the better for it! :p

Back