Metal garden sheds from Argos

funnymunny

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of the metal garden sheds from Argos. Was looking at the 4x10 metal shed, just for putting garden furniture and bits and pieces in and it seems quite a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance.

Bear in mind that some of these can be a nightmare to assemble (dozens of panels, 100s of screws) :eek:

My dad has one of the larger ones and yes it is a nightmare to put together. But in fairness, along with an extra pair of hands he got it all together (eventually), that said, there were a good few bits left over !
Watch out for some very sharp edges !The one he has doesn't have a floor - it went straight down onto the driveway. Sliding double doors which is handy. Looks good too and no maintenance required !!

As I mentioned on an earlier thread (see the search results above) my experience of one of the smaller ones is that it wasn't much hassle to assemble/erect.

Thanks a million for your replies. I am not too concerned about putting it together (needless to mention I won't be doing it!) as my brother is very handy so I am hoping he will have a handle on that.

Can I ask you Ross, we will be putting it straight on concrete too, might be a stupid question, but is it sturdy? As in, would you have to put something in to hold it to the ground (can't think of the word I am looking for!)

Thanks again

Have to admit that once our shed was finally erected, it was roomy, maintenance free and pretty sturdy!

Oops, just read your link ClubMan, that answers my question, bolt shed to concrete!
Using paving slabs worked just laid on the ground for me but our shed was one of the smaller sizes. I would imagine for a larger shed you may need to fix the slabs down more permanently or even lay a concrete base. Like Caveat I've found the shed sturdy and it's great to have it maintenance free.

Thanks guys, think I will definitely go with that. Concrete is already there so will just bolt it down. They seem to be much better value than the wooden ones and as you have pointed out are maintenance free.

I have one a while - and I'd only put it on a conc base - I agree about the 100's of screws thing, it was bananas. I thought the instruction leaflet wasn't fantastic, either.

The gauge of the panels is so light, it was too easy to overtighten and ring the holes, so what I did, afterwards, was remove them and put in pop rivets insteady - much, much better.

They're made by Yardmaster in NI, btw, but it's no cheaper to buy direct......

I thought that the instructions were fine and the number of parts did not represent a problem. The one issue I did have was that the pre-drilled homes on on small section did not match up so I had to drill additional holes myself. This could have been my own fault or due to the kit lying idle propped up against a wall (and maybe flexing or something) for about 2 years before I finally got around to assembling/erecting it! :eek:

I am not too concerned about putting it together (needless to mention I won't be doing it!) as my brother is very handy so I am hoping he will have a handle on that.

Don't underestimate how difficult these sheds are to assemble........My brother is also 'very handy' but couldn't believe they were allowed to put 'easy to assemble' on the description when there were 3 of us involved for a full Saturday. We actually abandoned the thing after a full day and threw it into a skip (I know it's drastic it was €300), but it was an absolute nightmare and looked like terrible lol.

Went for wooden in the end lol.
Good luck with it anyway

I wouldn't describe myself as "very handy" but I had no major problems assembling and erecting (other than the roof section) one on my own.

I've a feeling you might have been a bit lucky ClubMan and got an example which had been well machined/cut.

I'm not handy either but it did take myself and one other person (handyish) hours to assemble. I know of two other people - both handy - who had less than complimentary things to say about the collection of precision components :rolleyes: they were presented with.

My neighbour liked ours so bought the exact same model and had no problems assembling/erecting it without any help from me or anybody else. Maybe I live on a lucky road or something?

Well, when I say the brother is handy, he is a builder/carpenter, so I'm hoping he would have bit more know how than your average Joe (i.e. me or my other half). Having said that, I will forewarn him that it might take more time than he anticipates. Will try and come back with update for others who are interested. Won't be getting it for at least two weeks anyway.

Its quite a few years since we got ours but as far as I can recall that whilst supervising the job :D I noticed that the electric screwdriver came in very handy. There are a lot of screws and some very sharp edges. I think the job took about a day.

I do also feel that like any other shed they can get damp and full of spiders :eek:

Notice that the s mention 2 person assembly. Just as well I was there to supervise so.

You should really consider a wooden shed, we considered the metal ones, but they look terrible.
I disagree - ours and our neighbour's look fine. Other neighbours' wooden sheds look terrible because they have not been maintained and are falling apart!

I bought one for my last house. We already had a concrete driveway, so the base was alreay there.

The one I bought, from Argos, was the biggest Yardmaster. I think it was 16' x 9', the one with the car inside in the catelog.

No problem to assemble, just read the instructions a few times first, to get the overall assembly sequence, then assembled the panels on my own (with the instructions) , and an electric screwdriver. Finally, two of us did the final assembly. Total assembly was done over a weekend.

I then wired it for lights and power, and used 35mm builders-type aeroboard to insulate it. This slotted nicely between the panel uprights. We also secured it to the concrete base using coach bolts, and ran a bead of silicone around the base.

It was still there 5 years later when we sold the house, the shed was looking good as new.

OK, so it took a weekend to assemble the shed, but at a total cost of £799 at the time to purchase, it was far cheaper than any other option, including wooden shed. And it was maintenance free.

Back