Merits of importing a car from the UK

elacsaplau

Hi

i'm wondering if there are general guidelines / rules of thumb in relation to the merits of importing a car from the UK. I know this subject has been addressed in different forms previously but in the current climate and in relation to the general concept, specifically:
1. Is there a certain exchange rate that makes the process more attractive;
2. Is there a certain type or say, age of car that is more financially interesting; and
3. Is the general hassle of sourcing a car in a different country worth the added time, hassle, etc.

Thanks in advance....

1. You are buying a car, not an exchange rate. Take a look at a car you fancy buying , calculate the vrt compare the price with the equivalent in the republic.
Shop around on exchange rates though, call the banks and also check transfermate.com
The saving on best exchange rates is decent but not worth buying in itself.
You need to be getting a much higher spec for the same price or a much better price ie a few k saving.

2. cars with a no more than a couple of years on them will generally be easier to sell on. Passats are a very popular import as are various BMW. The 2nd/3rd hand market is good.

3. There is no hassle, try up north, less hassle maybe than a trip to the uk.
Make sure to get an independent mechanic to check the car and get it clear for finance etc. Won't cost much and will afford piece of mind

I'm confused as to why the exchange rate would have no impact on buying a car in the UK. I would have thought that anytime the Euro is strong v's Sterling (like now) is a better time to buy.

I'm confused as to why the exchange rate would have no impact on buying a car in the UK.

I think the point was that the exchange rate itself would not be a deciding factor. The OP should look at the car they want to buy, figure out how much it costs here versus buying in the UK and importing and making a decision then.

So while the exchange rate will be a factor in the calculations, there is no magic rate at which point all cars offer value for import.

Elacsaplau asks a valid question which is is there a point at which the GBP euro rate makes it cheaper to actually buy the car here - of course it makes a difference but I would argue the rate would need to head to 70p or so for this to kick in.

Pesonally the Cypriots cost me over €500 by driving down the euro from its early March rates for my recent purchase but still well worth it.

Would not go with the "buy up north" recommedation on several counts:

1. Prices are higher and much less competition. EG there are 2 Audi dealerships in Northern Ireland - there are 5 within a 50 mile radius of Newcastle. A flight and a hire car would cost you 200 max if you wanted to do it in a day and you'll save '000s

2. Diesel - NI awash with dirty diesel.

3. Choice - back to point 1 but the more people and dealerships the better the selection. You can find a much better car spec in the UK with a little homework.

BS

Back