Merging direct debits

EvenStevens

I've a good few direct debits coming out of my bank each month. Is there any kind of facility by which you can pay one single bill once a month that would preempt the debits?
Thanks

Some credit unions offer a budgeting facility, where the member pays one amount in and the CU pay amounts out for specified bills.

You could open another account and make one payment into it each month to cover the direct debits. Then change the direct debits so that they paid from this account

But what is the aim of that - it doesn't change anything materially?

It's just to streamline things. I have a list of what goes out and when in the month but if it was just one payment out it's easier to see where I am moneywise if that makes sense.

Hadn't thought of that. Interesting.

I find it useful to separate out money into different accounts (sort of like envelope budgeting) - so I have my salary and DDs in my current account; a joint account for household spending, savings account for future expenses (holidays etc) and then whatever's left I transfer to N26 for "pocket money"

I do that, I have lots of savings accounts and I use my current account solely for direct debits and it just gets a monthly amount from my main account.

Back