Mercer : Pensions managed by Mercer- Very poor non existent customer service.

IsleOfMan

Most of us have our pensions managed by Mercer. I am having terrible difficulty dealing with these people. At the moment they say that they cannot deal with a query for 6 weeks!
I would be interested in the views of other people regarding their customer service.

Re: Mercer - Pensions.

Customer service is poor I agree. You will have to just keep at them to resolve your query.

15 years ago the company I worked for transferred all the pensions from them to another company, as we were not happy with their costs/service.

my team have a lot of issues getting their on line system to work. Having said that, given the amount of redundancies out there and the fact that most people's pension funds have declined, they are probably getting swamped with queries

My wife was given an online password so that she could view her pension. It doesn't work. The excuse given was it was "defunct". Because she no longer works for her company she is not allowed to view her pension.

Why do they take 1 month to respond to a letter? I read somewhere in literature from the Pension Ombudsman that they must reply within a month. They are taking the full month!!! It is even worse that when you get your reply after a month to find that they haven't answered the specific questions that you asked so you have to re write the letter over again to ask the same question. Then wait another month.

The company I work for stopped dealing with them at the start of this year and transferred the employee pension scheme to another company. Only stayed with them one year and pretty much decided after about 6 months they had enough.

Kinda says it all for me really.. no idea what the in's and outs of it all were but they announced in the last quarter of 2008 they were doing this and that was that.

I.C

I contacted an individual by email and waited and waited and waited for a response. When I got no response I phoned looking for the individual only to be told that she doesn't work here anymore. Further investigation revealed that she did in fact still work there but had moved to another section. I tried to find out what happened to my original email as it was not "bounced" back to me. I wanted to find out did this person simply ignore the email because it no longer had anything to do with her or why she didn't forward the email on to the relevant section to deal with.
The staff at Mercer "closed ranks" and I never found out. For me, I lost 5 or 6 weeks of wasted effort writing to this company and to this day my original query still hasn't been sorted one year later.

They are rubbish, took them 8 months to send me an exit statement from my pension when I left my last job. When I rang them to complain they asked me if I knew was I defined benefit or defined contribution as they could find the info :eek:

Can I ask you all to write a letter of complaint detailing your issues to the HR department of the company you work/worked for - they will be able to put better pressure on Mercer to deal with your queries and would appreciate knowing the level of service they are getting for the fees they are paying

On a positive note, I called a member helpline number in Mercer a few months ago for a query I had on my pension and found them really good. They were able to help me straight away and made it all seem very clear. It was a 1890 number - am sure it's on their website.

Welcome LoisLane. I note that this is your first posting. Have you a connection with Mercer?
My own dealings with Mercer have been very poor. Waiting a month for a response to a query. Constant changing of staff. I can never seem to deal with the same person on follow ups.
I am looking for an annual statement of my pension performance to be posted to me automatically. This was refused. I was told that I had to contact them each year to get this posted to me.
I rank them in the top five of worst companies that I have ever dealt with.

My company changed to Mercer about a year ago and so far I have found them to be pretty good. I have used the helpline a few times and they always steered me right.

My company changed to Mercer about a year ago and so far I have found them to be pretty good. I have used the helpline a few times and they always steered me right.
Congratulations Verdun on your first 4 posts all made one after the other. I see you joined AAM yesterday. Have you any connection with Mercer?

I find Mercer just fine. I always get a clear yearly statement of my pension sent out automatically to me.

Hi BoxtheFox
Sorry, I wasn't aware there was a minimum number of posts you had to submit! Have just joined becasue I love the site and I get lots of useful info from it. No connection with Mercer, except for the fact that they manage my pension. Just because I found then good to deal with doesn't mean you should doubt my character.
I just came accross the post and decided to give my opinion. I thought thats what this site was about! I try to be more negative in future!

Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful. And i say that as an employee with a pension, and as a hr person who had to deal with them on an admin basis. Our company moved away from them recently, and the anecdotal evidence we have from other companies in our industry is that people are leaving them in droves.

I had my battles with them a couple of years back (i.e. before the current round of mass redundancies) when they abused a facility provided by Dept Social Welfare to contact members of their schemes. The Minister rapped their knuckles.

See [broken link removed] and [broken link removed].

My wife cannot even get a reply from them at the moment. She is trying to get a breakdown of both her employers pension contributions and her own contributions for a specific year.

They are rubbish, took them 8 months to send me an exit statement from my pension when I left my last job. When I rang them to complain they asked me if I knew was I defined benefit or defined contribution as they could find the info :eek:

They won't send you an Annual Benefits statement if you leave your company during the year because you are no longer an active employee. They also don't seem to be automatically sending you an exit statement either unless you chase them for it.

Why is this company so bad. Pensions are a huge part of their business.

Back