Mens health - the NCT for men -

I'd be really keen to find out where SquareMile went too - you should get a referral fee!

This thread reminds me of a Dylan Moran line about self-examination for testicular cancer.

"so I've to look for a lump in what is a bag of lumps ?"

Hello All

Sorry about the PM issue.

I went to the Mercer Clinic beside Break for the Border in Dublin (Near St Stephen's Green Centre).

I have no interest to declare in the place, but have been going there for years.

Maybe we can all meet up in the waiting area.

Happy Xmas

SM

tks a lot Square Mile.

Think I'll get the husband to go in the new year - although that will be a task as difficult as getting him into a clothes shop....

Thanks Square Mile, I've actually been there a few times and didn't know they did this.

Just in case anyone's interested, I found this [broken link removed] to the service Square Mile referred to.

Re: Mens health - the NCT for men - PHI Issues

At the moment, GPs seem to be recommending 50 as the age at which to test for prostate cancer.

I'm 54 and had my first test 18 months ago. It was higher than "normal" (4.3), so the test was repeated 6 months later - up to 4.9.
I was referred to urologist who suggested another test in 6 months. This one up to 6.8, so he recommended a TRUS biopsy. I had this done three months ago. along with another PSA test on the day - down to 5.8. BTW, I have no symptoms of any prostate issue.

The biopsy showed "no evidence of cancer" in any of 10 cores - 8 in gland.

As a result of this scare, I decided to review my life & PHI cover. My insurers have stuck a clause in the PHI cover:
"No benefit shall be payable if the circumstances giving rise to a claim for benefit are directly or indirectly attributable to any disease of the prostate"

I'm not happy with this. If anything is going to get me now, it'll almost certainly be something else. My broker says that I have no chance of having this rescinded and that all the insurers share this information, so I'm stuck with it.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what to do regarding this clause? I'm concerned about knock on effects.

I've been considering having a colonoscopy carried out - one of my parents died as a result of colon cancer and first degree relatives of these are recommended to have screening carried out. I'm afraid that if I do this, I'll have another clause added.

BTW, during my research while waiting for my biopsy, I found that, in the US, some are now recommending that the PSA test be carried out at age 40 and even 35 if there is a history of prostate issues in the family.

Even with my insurance issues, I would strongly recommended that every man, even witout symptoms, have a PSA test done. If nothing else, you will get a base level against which to gauge future levels.

Remember...what you don't know CAN kill you! :eek:

I am no expert but it seems like your insurers are penalising you for taking care of your health! Also, did they amend an existing policy ? That does not seem fair!

I was diagnosed at 31 with high blood pressure [runs in family]. Had no symptoms, just had to go for an employment medical. After a close relative died suddenly, I went to the WELL Clinic in Sandyford. Expensive but thorough(€400). Had a heart scan there too(+€250). THe usual tests, BP, Cholesterol, etc were supplemented by digital rectal exam[despite non indicating PSA test - he said they rely on the physical exam over the blood test] testicle exam, eyes, ears, stress and so on.

My own GP will do most of this for €40 if I ask him.

Slim

Just found this thread..........

Intending to go for a total overhaul very soon. I notice that someone went to the Mercer Clinic and was pleased with it. Has anyone else been? (Can't access their website right now for some reason.)

What about the Blackrock Clinic, the Beacon Clinic and the Mater Private? - all of which I believe offer these comphrehsive medicals too. Anyone been?

Of course, like all services, these are hugely subjective - perhaps even more so.

What should I be asking for outside of the obvious, if that isn't a stupid question? In terms of what they offer, are they all pretty much the same?

An expert's view would be most welcome.

Please PM me if needs be.

Many thanks.

D.

Back