memory foam matress unbelievably warm

shoppergal

we bought a memory foam matress last september as i have a bad back. On that front, it's been brilliant.

However, my OH who's obviously warmer blooded than I am regularly wakes up drenched in sweat because he's so hot in the bed. We've had a 10.5 tog duvet on the bed all winter and are both getting a little worried about how we're gonna cope when it gets warmer during the summmer.

Anyone else experience this and is there anything you can recommend to reduce the effects?

we bought a memory foam matress last september as i have a bad back. On that front, it's been brilliant.

However, my OH who's obviously warmer blooded than I am regularly wakes up drenched in sweat because he's so hot in the bed. We've had a 10.5 tog duvet on the bed all winter and are both getting a little worried about how we're gonna cope when it gets warmer during the summmer.

Anyone else experience this and is there anything you can recommend to reduce the effects?

Use a sheet and a thin blanket instead of a duvet in the summer? Or if we are lucky and the Irish summer gets really hot, a duvet cover without the duvet!

yeah, i'm sure yeer right the duvet will have to go. still gonna roast but the benefits outweight the negatives. thanks.

Large flannellette pyjamas for you should cool him down and we won't even ask about the source of the bad back ;)

If your OH is sweating that much at night time he should maybe visit his local doctor - night sweats can be a sign of a medical condition.

Just in case it's not the duvet

If your OH is sweating that much at night time he should maybe visit his local doctor - night sweats can be a sign of a medical condition.

Just in case it's not the duvet

Nah, he's fine in any other bed we sleep in and in the bed we had up til September. I do find it very hot as well, just not as much as him. Thanks anyway, though.

Nah, he's fine in any other bed we sleep in and in the bed we had up til September. I do find it very hot as well, just not as much as him. Thanks anyway, though.
We have the same problem since we bought our new bed. I think we will have to change our duvet too. The bed is very comfy and has help a great deal with my bad back.

We had the same problem. I put a cotton sheet onto the matress, then a cotton padded matress protector over that and then a cotton sheet on top of that - helps a little with the heat - if you do try it, it all has to be cotton, as the synthetic stuff will only add to the heat! I bought mine (the 100% padded cotton mattress protector) in Brown Thomas - only place where I could get it at the time and I went everywhere!

http://www.lifestylemattress.com/knowledge/index.p
Quote from above website:
4. Will the Lifestyle Mattress memory foam make me hot?
No. The cells themselves are open and breathable, giving the materials excellent air-permeability which reduces excess heat. However, due to the improved circulation throughout your body, you may find that you need fewer blankets to sleep comfortably.

So do I take from that - that it's the duvet is the problem and not the mattress.

You need a half-and-half (or his-and-hers) duvet. We have one with a zip down the middle and has a lower tog rating on one side for the hotter partner. Think we got it in Marks and Spencers, but can't find a link right now (sorry!).

You need a half-and-half (or his-and-hers) duvet. We have one with a zip down the middle and has a lower tog rating on one side for the hotter partner. Think we got it in Marks and Spencers, but can't find a link right now (sorry!).
That could work for alot of other things as well. Can you put a lock on the zip:)

I find a mattress protector works too, mI got mine in tescos and it works fine. Its 100% cotton also. Its not padded loads but it works for me.

Hi,

Does this only apply to a 'full' memory foam mattress?

We have ordered a mattress that has a layer of the memory foam on the top of a sprung mattress - do you think we'll have the same problem?

Back