Meeting with Ulster Bank advisor

Ulster have silly T&C's, like AIB, when it comes to the source of funding of certain accounts.

Why not take you money out of Ulster and get 3.5% with Investec/Anglo for the same product and less hassle?

I'm beginning to regret having anything to do with Ulster Bank. It appears that the branch deal with the "holding" account but someone, somewhere else deals with the fixed account. However never the twain shall meet.

Today I got a letter from my branch thanking me for opening my new easy access deposit account (that I didn't ask for) but not a mention anywhere that my fixed account was being processed and would follow on in due course.

Make sure that you check the date that you thought you opened your fixed account with Ulster Bank. It appears due to their strange way of doing things that it can take several days for your fixed account to be opened. And guess what, the interest only begins accruing from the date that they opened it and not the date that you thought you opened it.

The interest should start to accrue on the day the money reached your account. Did this happen for you? If not, I suggest you raise it with UB or with the FR.

Another Ulster T&C, the T&C's now say they calculate interest on a 1 year term deposit assuming 360 days in the year.

Where is the Financial Regulator protecting consumers with these kinda things?

The interest should start to accrue on the day the money reached your account. Did this happen for you? If not, I suggest you raise it with UB or with the FR.

Another Ulster T&C, the T&C's now say they calculate interest on a 1 year term deposit assuming 360 days in the year.

Where is the Financial Regulator protecting consumers with these kinda things?

It took Ulster Bank two days to open the account after the money was deposited.

Are you saying that if you leave your money with Ulster Bank for 365 days they only give you 360 days interest?

This means that they have the use of your money for up to 7 days in a year without paying you interest or basic interest.

they have the use of your money for up to 7 days in a year without paying you interest or basic interest.

Eh 5 days actually ... 365-360 = 5. The normal procedures in European Banking works on a 360 days per year, not 365.

I had to queue in my local Ulster Bank today at the First Active window to do a First Active lodgement and then queue again at the Ulster Bank window to do an Ulster Bank transaction.

All that will be over in two weeks time when full merger is completed, all in one queue from then on.

I opened a Savings Bond account with An Post in mid January. It took nearly 4 weeks to have the certificate posted out to me. However the opening date was the date that I made the lodgment in the Post Office. None of this Ulster Bank type rigmarole.

Saving Sterling in ROI a/c

There're a couple of ref to opening a sterling a/c in ROI.

I have 14,000 GBP in my old english bank account, have recently moved back and would like to open a sterling acccount in ROI.

Just wondering are there other opportunities to save here rather than going up north to open a new a/c, since dealing with the dirt on NI interest is likely laborious for 14,000.

I understand Anglo aren't taking sterling deposits anymore.

At the moment my English bank sends statements to me here in ROI but I'm not in receipt of any interest.

Does anyone know if there are other options or where the best rates are?

Back