Meeting HAP standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonduster

Hey Guys,

I was just wondering if i have a HAP tenant, the HAP agency will inspect my property in the first year. If they tell me i need to send x money to fulfil their HAP standards, am i entitled to decline it as long as i meet the minimum standards. I know I am obliged to accept HAP however if they force me to spend money even if it meets minimum standards thats a different story.

Likewise lets say if i didnt have a tax clearence cert, would i be obliged to get one or can i decline that also?

I am in the same boat. But I think fulfilling those HAP standards are considered the minimum standards. It’s a good question, what if someone can’t get a tax clearance cert?

Why would a compliant tax-payer be denied a tax-clearance certificate?

The inspectors won't say spend x, they'll simply say to bring the property up to standard by completing work based on their report

My tenant wants to apply for HAP. I don't have a BER rating on the house it was built in80s will I have to get one. Also have teak windows. House in good shape otherwise. Tenant wants to claim she is single mother having split up with father of child, though partner is there full time. I will have to write a new agreement to get her name on it.

Disappointed to hear you are even considering complying with your tenant's attempt to fraudulently obtain benefit she isn't entitled to. It may be money into the tenant's pocket and yours, but it comes out of mine.

Do landlords generally assist their tenants to defraud the system to line their own pockets?

Last edited:
I have tenant's in HAP. It's great. Money monthly into bank account and tax deducted (non resident) means that I don't even have to think about the tax.

I got no inspection that I know of. If you ask me the councils are way to busy to do anything. In fact I've never been inspected in two cities in more than 20 years of renting. Nor has two other close relations.

Never asked for a BER.

I find it odd a landlord suggesting they would have a problem getting a tax clearance certificate. It's a great requirement because it flushes out tax evaders.

Rent is monthly in arrears, watch out for that as regards the deposits.

I can' be judge on what goes goes on in their lives. I have a house to rent. Isn't it Law that if a tenant ask to go into HAP that I have to comply.

I can' be judge on what goes goes on in their lives. I have a house to rent. Isn't it Law that if a tenant ask to go into HAP that I have to comply.

This isn't about playing judge, it's about you committing a crime if you facilitate it.

Mind dont fall of your high horse.my Auctioneers that rent the house for me say that I am not intitled to refuse a tenant HAP.

that I am not intitled to refuse a tenant HAP

but you can't facilitate fraud by accepting it!

What's this about a high horse? ..... nobody on AAM is going to agree with you committing fraud.

You can surely work against accepting HAP if your tenant is lying to get it.

Do the auctioneers know that the tenant will be lying to get HAP?

Mind dont fall of your high horse.my Auctioneers that rent the house for me say that I am not intitled to refuse a tenant HAP.

You're auctioneer is correct in so far as it is illegal to discriminate against those in receipt of HAP. No where in the legislation does it say that you are entitled to break the law by facilitating social welfare fraud.

Along with the risk of you being charged with that offence if they are reported (and these cases do get reported), there are other risks to a landlord that facilitates an adult not named on the lease to reside in the house, but hey, I've a horse to go water...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back