Medical Tax Refund

kappar

It's that time of year again to look at medical refunds.

I was going over my parent's medical costs and my mother had 2k for weight loss procedure in Prague.

My question is, is this a valid expense? She was advised by her doctor to lose weight therefore I think this should be regarded as a valid medical expense? Anyone aware of the Revenue's view on this?

Then I assume because Czech Republic is EU this shouldn't be an issue.

Happy new year.

It's that time of year again to look at medical refunds.

I was going over my parent's medical costs and my mother had 2k for weight loss procedure in Prague.

My question is, is this a valid expense? She was advised by her doctor to lose weight therefore I think this should be regarded as a valid medical expense? Anyone aware of the Revenue's view on this?

Then I assume because Czech Republic is EU this shouldn't be an issue.

Happy new year.
It would seem so. See here http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it6.html#outside-state

Main thing is it is prescribed by a doctor and carried out in a registered facility by a registered(in his own country) practitioner.

That is very useful Slim, I am still not 100% clear on if this would be regarded as a medical rather than cosmetic.

She was told by a doctor to lose weight for various health reasons however, the doc didn't exactly say how. She just chose this option

Back