Medical Insurance Tax query

boomboom4780

Hi all,

My query is that my employer pays my VHI medical insurance in full. Both myself and the wife are on my policy. The overall policy for both of us comes to a total of €2,400. I pay benefit in kind on it.

For 2014, I was entitled to claim a tax credit of a maximum €2000 divided by 20% = a tax credit relief of €400.

There was a change made in Budget 2015 that meant the mamimum tax relief was reduced ( from the middle of October 2014 onwards ) to €1000 divided by 20% = a tax credit relief of €200.

My question is, am I only entitled to a tax credit relief of €200 now ( which is showing up on my latest tax credit cert on my Revenue PAYE ) or am I still entitled to receive a tax credit relief of €400 as I have 2 adults on my policy?

So basically is there a relief of up to €200 for each adult or is it now simply a case of a maximum relief of €200 regardless of how many adults or children are on my policy?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I have checked Revenue website and it is unclear regarding what relief is available for more than 1 person on a policy.

Cheers, BB

If you have not received this relief in prior years, how do you go about claiming back? The person in question is self-employed and a director of the company on payroll, where the company pays his medical insurance. He recently received a new P2C with the relief on it, but did not have it in previous years.

Back