medical expenses tax relief

dewdrop

i am a paye person and for several years have not submitted a tax return. in order to claim tax relief on medical expenses do i have to submit returns to bring them up todate.

you can put a claim in using a med1 form which is available on revenue.ie. Afaik you can only submit for the last 3 yrs now.

thanks NICEONETED but do i have to have my annual returns uptodate beffore revenue will refund?

you can put a claim in using a med1 form which is available on revenue.ie. Afaik you can only submit for the last 3 yrs now.

At present you can claim for the previous four years i.e. 2003, 2004, 2005 + 2006. Just fill in the Med1 forms for each year and post them to your local tax office. They should have your wages details on record so you shouldn't need P60s

I know somebody who recently claimed this year for MED1 expenses incurred and paid in 2002 in spite of the 4 year limit on backdated claims. So if you have expenses for 2002 or earlier maybe submit a claim anyway and see if Revenue grant it?

Just to correct my previous post - the claims in question were initially accepted but on further processing were rejected as being outside of the time limit. Not sure why they don't reject such claims up front but there you go. So the 4 year time limite probably is set in stone after all... :(

Back