Medical checkup

All polls and questionnaires are open to flaws. If the poll was carried out on the street, the vast majority would indicate that they are happy with their lives, are not under pressure and have enought time for all their interests. Whereas the people who are stressed and under time constraints wouldn't have had the time to stop and take part in the poll in the first instance! ;-)

I do think that the majority of people are stressed and don't have enough time to do the things they want.

Mark

I recently felt that I should have the old NCT done. I read about the Well at the Beacon clinic, Sandyford and checked the website (theWell.ie I think). Executive Medical cost €460 and I do not think it is covered by VHI, see post above - I am about to find out. the test covers all bloods/urine/BP/ecg etc and also spectacles test as well as an eye test. The attraction of this was the optional CT scan of the arteries - €250 additional, total cost €710. In my experience, the GP can do all of the blood tests etc and it costs €40. The only reason I went was for the scan. I had reasons for it. The resulting report is very detailed but has an element of padding to justify the price, in my opinion.

I suggest you register with a local GP. Choose a younger GP who is more interested in preventative medicine etc. Spend the €40/50 on a routine getting to know you medical and see if he/she recommends and further investigations. If the GP recommends a further test, your VHI will kick in. Good luck.

Slim

Totally agree with Slim.

Also like to say that there's an element of false advertising. CT scan can only pick up problems with the largest artery in the body - the aorta. Tells you little about any of the smaller vessels which are generally more problematic anyway. In any case, once a person isn't extremely overweight, it is possible to find an enlarged aorta on physical examination.

In america now there is a vogue for setting up private radiology clinics where people go in and have a whole body MRI, even if entirely without symptoms - hypochondriac's dream. It's only a matter of time before that starts here.

Lorz said:
I do think that the majority of people are stressed and don't have enough time to do the things they want.
People can think/assume whatever they like but unless it can be checked/verified against some form of objective data one must remain skeptical. It's easy to assume that everybody is busier, stressed, more cash rich/time poor these days (especially compared to the apocryphal "good old days") but it doesn't necessarily make it true.

Lorz said:
People can think/assume whatever they like but unless it can be checked/verified against some form of objective data one must remain skeptical. It's easy to assume that everybody is busier, stressed, more cash rich/time poor these days (especially compared to the apocryphal "good old days") but it doesn't necessarily make it true. Personally I'd consider the Economist survey/report a bit more authoritative (although not perfect since that's an impossible goal) than an online poll.

I cant believe anyone thinks it's not a good idea to go for routine checkups, even if there is nothing obviously wrong with you.
In the worst case scenario you spend money, find nothing wrong, and go away with peace of mind.

Luckily my father agrees with me, and went for a checkup a few years ago - he was fit, healthy, no history of family illnesses, doesnt smoke, drinks very little. But he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Luckily because it was diagnosed so early, they could remove it, and he was fine.
(He was sharing a hospital room with 3 other men, all with prostate cancer. The other three died of the disease, since their symptoms were much more advanced).

So now, my parents go for yearly checkups, and in my work I have a free yearly checkup.

No-one is suggesting that going for check-ups is not beneficial, just that some of these private hosiptals are making a mint exploiting peoples vulnerability about their health and performing unnecessary tests when your GP could do the same job for 1/10 the price

ClubMan said:
Are you sure that you need a medical checkup in the first place assuming this is not for a job or life assurance etc.? If you have no history of illness and are generally fit and well then why bother?

GearóidMM - Clubman was wondering why one should bother.

Clubman - What methodology was used for the Economist poll that would make you think/assume that it's more authoritative? Can I take it from your statement that you're not busier, more stressed or more time poor than you were perhaps 5/10 years ago? Lucky you!

Lorz said:
GearóidMM - Clubman was wondering why one should bother.
Yes. I didn't say that it was a good idea. I just questioned whether it was really necessary in certain (many?) circumstances.
Clubman - What methodology was used for the Economist poll that would make you think/assume that it's more authoritative?
Did you read the article? I think it's obvious how that survey would be orders of magnitude more authoritative than a telephone/online poll.
Can I take it from your statement that you're not busier, more stressed or more time poor than you were perhaps 5/10 years ago? Lucky you!
Not significantly, no. Let's put things in perspective here - my parents and parents in law were born c. 1930/40s, grew up during the war/emergency years, came from large families (double figures in most cases), lived in 2-3 bedroom houses at best usually with no toilet facilities, often struggled to obtain basic/staple foodstuffs, the men had to go start work (bricklaying and butchering respectively) at c. 14 years old, both working for their fathers for practically no pay until they completed apprenticeships and got jobs with paying employers (the women effectively had to cease working when they married), saw most of their siblings and friends forced to emigrate, bought houses on long term (25+ years as far as I recall) local authority loans (for private houses - meaning higher rates than normal) where the mortgage repayments were a significant chunk of their net income, had little disposable income while rearing their own families (5 and 3 kids respectively), earned at retirement gross incomes less than what most of their grandchildren subsequently started on and so on. While I don't feel unduly busy, stressed, time poor in general terms I certainly think that I have it a lot better than my parents/in law had it.

Sorry Clubman - I wasnt' referring to your parents or any others born in 1930s - I asked if YOU felt under less pressure/stress etc now than 5 or 10 years ago?

I really feel we're detracting from the original post - we'll agree to differ?

my opinion is that health is the most important thing.when someone comes on this site and asks what are the best investment options for a sum of money, there are plenty of useful replies. All alternatives are offered beit high yield, high risk or capital guaranteed products.
Saying that theres no point in getting checked out medically is the equivalent of advising somebody to 'invest' in a current account.
We're all very happy to discuss making the best our of wealth when in fact, its all fairly obsolete if you're not around to see an investment to fruition.
Being passé about health just because there's no problem in your family history, or you feel fine is ridiculous in this day and age ([broken link removed])
To answer the original question, I have noticed a few health screening 'vans' around recently. They might be worth checking out.

I think that the best investment that any one can make either in their health or future is to invest a little more money weekly in good organic fresh fruit and veg and eat as much of it as you can RAW.

Lorz said:
Sorry Clubman - I wasnt' referring to your parents or any others born in 1930s - I asked if YOU felt under less pressure/stress etc now than 5 or 10 years ago?
And if you bothered to read my post then you will see that I answered your question.

ClubMan said:
.... I certainly think that I have it a lot better than my parents/in law had it.

I was asking about your stress levels now v your stress levels 5/10 yrs ago. Incidentally, I find your aggressive approach not appropriate for that of an Administrator on a forum. You really are going away from the original post now which is quite surprising considering your recent actions i.e. closing posts because they weren't posted in the correct forum and furthermore closing posts by new-comers who have posted a query that was answered some time ago.

Lorz said:
I was asking about your stress levels now v your stress levels 5/10 yrs ago.
Did you read this bit?
ClubMan said:
Lorz said:
Can I take it from your statement that you're not busier, more stressed or more time poor than you were perhaps 5/10 years ago? Lucky you!
Not significantly, no.

Prospective employer wants me to do a medical next week, can any one tell me what to expect. Will it just be the basics or should i be expecting blood/urine and prostate ect to be checked. Not worried for any particular reason (ie drugs), just wondering what to expect. Thanks

You should just expect: blood pressure and lights shone in your eyes. I had a urine test at one medical but not at the other.
Basically, you've to fill out a form advising of any illnesses of yourself or close relatives . You must also disclose any allergies, or recreational drug-taking.

I've only ever had two employment related medicals. The first one a few years ago involved me going to my GP, him asking me how I felt, me telling him that I was fine and him writing a note giving me the all clear. The second was in relation to PHI provided by the employer, was carried out by the underwriter's nominated doc and was much more comprehensive (not as far as the prostate though! :eek:).

Hi, I would too like any info on health check ups around the country, received info on mater so far and waiting on hospitals in cork and limerick to send me stuff too, does anyone have any opinions on which was the best? and is there any others with web sites etc... Ta.

Hello,

Markjbloggs,

Perhaps if you look up the VHI site you will be able to check what proportion of your medical tests/examination will be covered by VHI. In some cases tests are carried out on an outpatient basis and the major part of the cost of same has to be met by the patient, with a certain percentage being paid by VHI. On the other hand, if the consultant takes you into hospital, it's possible that the larger if not all the costs will be covered by VHI.

You can decide whether or not you want all the tests listed by Woods, the Allergy tests, the Bone thinning tests. etc. I saw a comment about stress and one's work place. It is a worthwhile exercise, in my opinion to wear the blood pressure monitor for 24 hours. If your blood pressure fluctuates within that 24 hours you can gauge in some fashion where you were and what you were doing when your blood pressure was elavated and likewise what circumstances caused it to subside. Knowledge is power:) .

I truly believe that we have to take responsible for our health. If you believe that you would benefit from a full health check go for it:) You can't put a price on peace of mind.

Slainte

Back