Health Insurance Medical Card Is Expiring - What Are My Options?

Bothan

Not sure what to do here. My medical card is expiring at the end of the month. I moved to Ireland and have never earned enough to afford private health insurance and have had the Medical Card. Now that I am receiving State Pension & a small private pension I am above the earnings limit for the medical card. So far I am in good health (thankfully) and have not had to avail of the medical system too often. I did have a skin cancer removed just over 10 years ago but nothing major since.

What would be my options moving forward, given that my earnings are now reasonable for a retired person, but I am of Scottish heritage so I want to be careful with my outgoings. :)

Thank You

Everybody over 70 is entitled to a GP Visit card, which means GP fees = zero.

The medical card means-test for people over 70 is much more generous than for people under 70.

If 70 or over, the income limits are 550 single / 1050 married per week.

Also, please note that there are four fees in healthcare in Ireland:
(1) GP fee
(2) ED fee = 100, zero if sent to ED by GP
(3) Pharma, max is 100/124? per month
(4) Overnight fee in hosp = 80

If I qualify for a medical card for over 70's, I understand that I can get prescribed drugs and medicines for free but sometimes with a dispensing charge?

Do I have to get to a nominated pharmacist to get these or can I shop around each month at different pharmacies?

If your drugs are on the HSE prescribed list you will get them free - no dispensing charges . There is a government levy of €1 per item up to a maximum of €10 per month even if you have more than 10 items per month.

You need to be registered with one pharmacy and there would be no advantage in shopping around as there are no charges.

Perhaps you need some unusual drugs that are not recommended by the HSE.

Is that an Irish State Pension you have and an Irish medical card or could it be an EU medical card?

Back