Medical card application

JustOli

Hi folks..
I would like to apply for an over 70's medical card for my wife and I but not sure if we qualify.
Our total weekly income is e 650
Total savings e 265 k
Q: Would we qualify with those figures..

Thanks in adv.

Did you check the info here?
This a Irish Times article may also be of of interest.
Why not just apply and let them tell you whether you qualify or not?

I presume that you already have an over 70s GP visit card?

Last edited:
Did you check the info here?
This a Irish Times article may also be of of interest.
Why not just apply and let them tell you whether you qualify or not?

I presume that you already have an over 70s GP visit card?
Thank you for the info above...
I just thought someone here might know the formula used to assess weekly income . I would know then if I should go ahead and request statements from banks and credit union..
Thanks again.

Thank you for the info above...
I just thought someone here might know the formula used to assess weekly income . I would know then if I should go ahead and request statements from banks and credit union..
Thanks again.
The HSE apply a notional interest rate return to savings and add that to your income as part of the means test. So you need to find out what that rate is at the moment. If your actual earned interest is less than what they calculate then it seems that they may/will accept this instead.

If I was you I'd just apply and see what happens.

Considering it's deposit interest which is taken in to account in the means test, I would submit certificates of interest with your application.

The notional interest rate used by the DSP is belonging to a different interest rate environment.

The notional rate may be preferential where one has money invested (e.g. in shares or funds) and their notional rate is less than the actual returns.

I don't know.
That's why I said earlier that the original poster needs to find out what it is.
The DSP would need to look at this in a nuanced way, making a distinction between investment returns and deposit interest.

It would be fair for annual investment returns to be assessed over the previous 5-10 year period rather than one year as there may have been a peak or trough in the market, which would skew the annualised return.

Deposit interest would be more straightforward as rates are stably low/nonexistent.

The DSP would need to look at this in a nuanced way, making a distinction between investment returns and deposit interest.
As far as I know - and according to some of the links that I posted - they do.

Does everyone aged 70 or over automatically qualify for GP visit card? I thought that they did.

I am looking at the application form and it says "If one of you is aged 70 or older you will both qualify for a GP visit card if your combined gross income is over €900 but not greater than €1400 per week".

So anyone with an income of over €1400 per week is not entitled to a GP Visit card?

Is that correct?

Does everyone aged 70 or over automatically qualify for GP visit card? I thought that they did.
They do.
I think what you're referring to is the specific cases of a couple where one is 70+ and the other isn't in which case the younger person's eligibility for the card is means tested?

Thanks Clubman for clarifying this.

I turn 70 shortly and therefore qualify for a GP visit card but borderline for a medical card. Our combined income is about €44k, excluding deposit interest.

My wife is 69 and will qualify next year in her own right for a GP visit card.

I notice that the form that I am required to complete to get the GP card is the same form that is used to get the Medical Card.

I don't understand why they are not separate application forms.

It is asking me lots of questions about savings, shares, bank accounts etc.

I have some savings certs and savings bonds.....maturing at different times over the next 7 or 8 years. The income from these will be small but maybe in one year I might have two items maturing, therefore pushing our combined income over the qualifying amount for a medical card. Would this mean that our medical card would be withdrawn for that one year only?

If I only want a GP visit card and automatically qualify for one at age 70, why am I being asked about my savings etc?

I d'on't understand why they are not separate application forms.
Probably because they assess one for both in one go?
It is asking me lots of questions about savings, shares, bank accounts etc.
What's the problem with that?
I have some savings certs and savings bonds.....maturing at different times over the next 7 or 8 years. The income from these will be small but maybe in one year I might have two items maturing, therefore pushing our combined income over the qualifying amount for a medical card. Would this mean that our medical card would be withdrawn for that one year only?
If it's not covered here then ask the HSE.
If I only want a GP visit card and automatically qualify for one at age 70, why am I being asked about my savings etc?
See above.

If I automatically qualify for a GP visit card at age 70...why does anyone need to know details about my savings?
Because they'll assess you for a medical card at the same time. I don't really see the problem. But if you do then perhaps this registration method doesn't ask for details of means? But if you happen to qualify for a medical card and/or a GP visit card for your under 70 partner then you may miss out if you don't enable them to do a means test.

Probably because they assess one for both in one go?
As you pointed out in your last post it appears that you can opt for the over 70's GP visit card only by completing a separate application without detailing your means.

I notice that the form that I am required to complete to get the GP card is the same form that is used to get the Medical Card.

I don't understand why they are not separate application forms.
There are separate application forms for over 70's if you want and don't require a medical card.

What's the problem with that?
I certainly wouldn't want a form floating around the HSE with details of my savings accounts, shares and other income, if it is not relevant/required for the application. I think lots of people would see a problem with that.

Does anyone have any first hand experience how this matter is dealt with?

The over 70's medical card is based on the combined income of the couple as long one person is over 70. The rates are clear ie under €1050 per week (combined income).
This is made up of earned income, pensions etc plus interest from savings, banks, credit union, income from rental or wherever you have assetts.

Bank statements of interest not bank statements are required as they will show a much lower rate of interest than the notional HSE rate which at the moment is around .65%.
As per OH example 265k if just sitting in a bank @ interest rate of say .2% gives an annual income of €530 or €10 per week. Add this to your €650pw .
This of course is a basic example you may have your money invested in a very different way

I would be filling up that form.

Back