Health Insurance Medical card and health insurance. Do risk losing the medical card?

irbx

My mum got medical card and health insurance.

But over the last two years she been told by public health nurse and other HSE staff to cancel the insurance. Or she could lose the medical card.

I can't find anywhere where says this and gets a lot of prescriptions a month . Wants to cancel her health insurance which I think would be a mistake.

Has anyone came across this before or point to direct where HSE will not allow you to have medical card and insurance

Hard to believe! My father has both medical card and health insurance. Only way that could be an issue is if its means tested medical card and she is on low income, someone might wonder how she could afford insurance but if all above board then no issue

From the HIA website FAQs https://www.hia.ie/frequently-asked-questions

" Q. I have a medical card. May I also hold private health insurance?

Yes. You may have a medical card and hold private health insurance at the same time. If attending your GP for a referral you will need to decide whether you want to go publicly or privately. Similarly, if admitted to hospital, you will need to tell the hospital whether you want to be admitted as a public or a private patient."

This is absolutely not true.
They don’t ask on the forms if you have health insurance

But over the last two years she been told by public health nurse and other HSE staff to cancel the insurance. Or she could lose the medical card.
They havent got a clue, i would make a complaint. How dare they make such an assertion.

Back