mediation and separation

Blackwexford

Myself and my wife have agreed to separate. Would anyone have any advice on the first step mediation. I have been searching Google, we can go private or the The Family Mediation Service. The Family mediation is free have no idea the cost of going private or which is better. I don't want us to row and just have a fair asset split, as no children I would hope this is possible.
Anyway has anyone going through this with either , if so how did it go, any advice much appreciated.

I would imagine the free option could have a lengthy waiting list and I think at this stage while everyone is amicable then opting for the private route might make more sense.

Thanks Lucystar I would agree the free option could take some time. I am trying to figure out who to pick i want to get as good service as possible. Not all professionals are the same.

Myself and my wife have agreed to separate. I don't want us to row and just have a fair asset split, as no children I would hope this is possible.
No been smart here but do you need "Family mediation" when there is no kids and just assets or is it a legal requirement
To me it should be simple enough if you both agree to a 50:50 split, there'll be a bit of haggling over certain assets but as long as you both agree to be civil and not try to get "one upmanship" on the other person it will be a lot quicker and less painful then going the "Family mediation" way

Last edited:
Thanks Cervelo I have been told by some friends I should go for mediation as if I don't it could go against me. Yes I just want to split 50/50 and move on. Do you know if takes long, I have seen prices of €180 an hour for 3 to 6 hour long sessions and pay for the room and any other costs also.

Thanks Cervelo I have been told by some friends I should go for mediation as if I don't it could go against me. Yes I just want to split 50/50 and move on. Do you know if takes long, I have seen prices of €180 an hour for 3 to 6 hour long sessions and pay for the room and any other costs also.

I don’t think it will ‘go against you’ but what I do find (anecdotally) is that when solicitors are involved then things can take a turn and becomes bitter and embattled and ends up being VERY costly with legal fees. €180 a hour is cheap in comparison….!

Thanks Luckystar I agree there is so many companies offering the service just need to pack the right one. Its really starting to get to me not getting this sorted. Thanks all for the replies

I suppose it’s important to get going -
Can always change mediators if you’re unhappy a session or 2 in

No been smart here but do you need "Family mediation" when there is no kids and just assets or is it a legal requirement
To me it should be simple enough if you both agree to a 50:50 split, there'll be a bit of haggling over certain assets but as long as you both agree to be civil and not try to get "one upmanship" on the other person it will be a lot quicker and less painful then going the "Family mediation" way
I would tend to agree with Cervelo. Do you have any indication from your Wife if She'd be open to an unmediated vanilla 50:50 split?

Write it up for your own reference - an inventory of your joint marital assets & split it down the middle. Is that number something that might be no quibble attractive to her?

Let's say she wanted to press for an extra x euro on top of the 50%. What is that in % numbers? Is that number worth your while (a) arguing over & (b) paying for & attending sessions with a mediator. You seem to want to move on promptly & maybe you're willing to pay a price for that speed.

You don't need to share your inventory with her right now but putting it down on paper can be a useful exercise.
You also don't need to share your preference for a speedy resolution with her right now either.

Hope it works out...

Back