Media frenzies:Dutch Show, Bob Woolmer and Leslie Ash

almo

3 stories have arrived on our Saturday doorsteps this morning that beg tribute to be paid to our media, especially Sky and the other Sun type media sources.

1. The Dutch show was a hoax - as mentioned by one seasoned tv critic on Sky 2 days ago (and he was criticised hugely) the former head of the TV channel showing the donor show had died of organ failure and his colleagues have been determined to challenge antiquated Dutch laws to save thousands of people who need transplants.

2. Bob Woolmer died of natural causes "it has been revealed" - not announced you se, but revealed. I feel sorry for the Pakistani players and the mans family, they had to go through hell, and only today the pres say "Woolmer was known as a heavy drinker and suffered from diabetes". Now this was never mentioned, not once in the mass media, instead he was a "gentleman of the game" and "a legend". But such a mess of the whole situation was made that now the drumbeating nationalism of the British press and media have tarnished the memory of the man and those who surrounded him.

3. Lesley Ash and her superbug. From sniggering openly and ridiculing her, the media this morning have suddenly gone all shock and horror with her quarter of a million pounds award for contracting the hospital bug.

What will happen next with little maddy?

Re: Our Media frenzies

his colleagues have been determined to challenge antiquated Dutch laws to save thousands of people who need transplants.
What antiquated Dutch laws?
2. Bob Woolmer died of natural causes "it has been revealed" - not announced you se, but revealed.
That's not how I heard it reported on the radio/TV where it was reported that Scotland Yard believed/claimed that he was not murdered but probably died of natural causes related to to various illnesses.
3. Lesley Ash and her superbug.
Sorry - I don't read the red tops so have no idea about this one.

The laws prevent direct donation to named people, also with funding for research and maintainence of systems of monitoring. They had a list of 14 requests for the Dutch government to use to amend laws.

Re. Bob Woolmer, Sky even now are interviewing Imran Khan and again have stated "our sources revealed", yet Imran Khan has reiterated the slaims by the Pakistan team, management and supporters at the time that it was natural causes and that the Pakistan Board should take action. The Sky interviewer (who himself was breathlessly reporting it at the time) is now trying to draw Khan into criticising the Jamaican police and "how your country is now tainted".

What antiquated Dutch laws?
That's not how I heard it reported on the radio/TV where it was reported that Scotland Yard believed/claimed that he was not murdered but probably died of natural causes related to to various illnesses.
Sorry - I don't read the red tops so have no idea about this one.

Something to do with your wish to donate to a specific person not being valid after your death.
Surely there is some logic in such a law - e.g. to prevent organ trading before death?

Not all antiquated laws (if this is an example of same) are bad laws.

Surely Almo, you must take Sky News for what they are....sensationalist tabloid tv! More speculative in their presenting than presenting facts alot of the time.

Clubman I agree with the pre-death trading of organs, it's something that has been growing thanks to desperate people in underdeveloped countries (or Russia - where last (Moscow Times expose of March 14th 2007) year there were more than 10,000 recorded operations in hospitals for organ removal, all but 37 were due for "the West". But a major bone of contention for the Dutch show producers is that there has been no push of carrying organ donor cards etc by the Min for Health despite pleas from organisations and medical authorities.

Ninsaga, yes, they're sensationalist, but even CNN got in on the act, as well as newspapers and even Radio 1 (RTE) in regards to the Dutch show. Is the whole media gone mad?

Back