med1

bearishbull

if you claim back for medical expense from revenue do you get the same amount back as if you claimed them from vhi?? my parents have 1400eur medical expenses for year and have vhi and pay paye at 42%
cheers

With the MED1 form you can claim back at the top rate (42%) what you paid out ie the full prescription and doctors fees etc per your receipts less of course the first €125/€250 of receipts.

With VHI it varies according to your plan. Read your Guide to Plans and Rules booklet.
For instance you may be able to claim only €20 per GP visit and €51 per consultant and no prescriptions at all less of course the first €500 for a family.
My own experience is that if you have very high outpatients charges you should claim on the VHI and then claim the full amounts on MED1 reducing them by the refund.

jasconius said:
With the MED1 form you can claim back at the top rate (42%) what you paid out ie the full prescription and doctors fees etc per your receipts less of course the first €125/€250 of receipts.

You claim back tax at your marginal rate. If you pay tax at 20% you get relief at 20% only

I've been searching for quite a while now but can't seem to find the answer to this. My question is: is medical expenses relief under a Med1 claim available for therapist/counsellor fees? Thank you

max said:
I've been searching for quite a while now but can't seem to find the answer to this. My question is: is medical expenses relief under a Med1 claim available for therapist/counsellor fees? Thank you

Officially, if your therapist is registered with the General Register of Medical Practitioners you can claim relief. I'm not sure if therapists can or do register. Effectively, it's probably restricted to doctors, consultants etc. I'm open to correction.

Would I claim relief for it? Definitely.

Back