MED1 - likelyhood of being asked to vouch for expenses?

ClubMan

Anybody got any idea how often Revenue ask for MED1 claimants to vouch for expenses claimed by producing the relevant receipts? I have a bunch of medical expenses spanning the last few years but am not certain that I have all of the receipts and wonder if I should omit those that I cannot vouch for if asked...

Not very likely.

I submitted over 300 returns last yr. About 200 had med exp. Was only asked for receipts for 2.

If the total claim is small it shouldn't be a problem. If it is a few thousand they are more likely to request them.

I've submitted all my receipts with the MED1 form every year and they always send them back, I'm not sure how much they check them though.

Thanks for the feedback. Petal - I presume by "send them back" you mean that they refund the tax rather than sending the forms back for further clarification?

I submit original receipts too and they post them back (separately from the refund cheque, which presumably issues from the accounts dept. as opposed to the 'handling' dept.?)

ClubMan said:
Thanks for the feedback. Petal - I presume by "send them back" you mean that they refund the tax rather than sending the forms back for further clarification?
I think what Petal means is that the Revenue, when sending her the refund cheque, also return the receipts to her. This is what they've done with me in the past, so I won't bother sending them in future. I'm banking on the Revenue not requesting receipts. Like you, Clubman, I don't have all (though most) of them.

Thanks - actually the MED1 form says not to send in receipts but to retain them in case they are requested so people probably shouldn't send them it at all in the first place.
Receipts for expenses claimed

Please ensure that you only claim for amounts for which you hold receipts. You need not send in the receipts to Revenue with your claim. However, you must keep the receipts for a period of 6 years as you may be asked to send them in if your claim is chosen for a detailed examination.
Now to tackle 3-4 years of medical expenses...!

Also note that even for a married couple, the deuduction is 125, and not 250, if the expenses are in respect of one person.

That's what I read from it, anyway.

Yep, that's what I meant, I get them back in the post with my P60 and then (eventually, weeks later) I get the cheque.
After reading all this, i'll try to submit the claim without the receipts this time round, saves a bit of hassle.
I'd say they still want my P60 though...

Yes - the will want a copy of your P60 or other proof of earnings(e.g. copies of payslips) regardless as stated on [broken link removed].

...as mentioned above, you are not required to submit receipts. Last year I made the mistake of submitting original P60's & never got them back...delayed me submitting tax returns while trying to get copies.

ninsaga

ninsaga said:
...as mentioned above, you are not required to submit receipts. Last year I made the mistake of submitting original P60's & never got them back...delayed me submitting tax returns while trying to get copies.

ninsaga

Why would you want to submit separate Med 1 and Tax Return?

Med 1 is incorporated into tax return

Maybe ninsaga means other "partial" returns? For example, rather than do a full Form 12 return in the past I have submitted MED1 and pensions tax/PRSI claims separately both of which required a copy of my P60.

Back