MED1 and Refund

yupyaboyo

Hi All,

I've just received a rebate from the tax man and its not the amount I was expecting, infact its 50% less!

Some details below and you will notice they are fertility related so they are high and the total amount excludes the tiny amount we received from our health insurer.

Orthoptic or similar treatment - €30
Services of a doctor or consultant - €1000 (Fertility Consultants)
Diagnostic procedures - €5500 (Infertility LIT/LAD Testing, Blood Tests and Examinations)
Other Qualifying Expenses -
- €2000 (Point of Care Intralipid infusions)
- €8000 (Private Prescriptions i.e. Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG))
Prescribed drugs or medicines for the year
- €576 (Drugs Payment Scheme * 4 months)

The only note in the P21 balancing statement was "please note prescribed drugs and medicines are restricted to €1728 "

I was expecting a 20% rebate on the following amounts:
30 + 1000 + 5500 + 2000 + 8000 + 576 = 17106 (already excludes the 500 from private health)
20% = €3421.20
Actually received: €1710.60

It looks like they have omitted the private prescriptions and my question is whether this is correct or not. I've read and re-read the MED1 form and from my reading I should be entitled to a refund on these costs.

Any feedback/comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

YupYaBoyo

The only note in the P21 balancing statement was "please note prescribed drugs and medicines are restricted to €1728 "
This is because under the Drugs Payment Scheme, you need pay only up to EUR 144 each month (i.e. EUR 1728 pa) for approved prescribed drugs and medicines. Your 'private prescriptions', if they are for drugs approved under the DPS, should have been paid for under that scheme.

Last edited:
The revenue leaflet IT6 does not mention a limit of €1728, i.e. €144 x 12, and it does not say that private prescriptions are not eligible, so I think you need to recheck with them. All it says is it covers medicines prescribed by a registered practiconer. Not all drugs fall under the DPS and they are then classified as private prescriptions so your costs will go over the €144 per month, so you should be able to claim for them.

Back