Mechanical Ventilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edislaw

I am currently renovating my Victorian home and have discovered in a number of areas that decisions are needed which are usually made by tradesmen based on their knowledge of regulations and regularly ignore science. For example, I am currently considering ventilation. When considering why I might require ventilation I ignored the regulations and used common sense. the answers I came up with were simple; I like to be comfortable and healthy.
Cutting to the chase it became apparent that I needed to avoid mould growth, control humidity and remove odours. The answer I came up with was to use a humidistat to turn on an extract fan at a given level of humidity. Positioning fans in the areas where moisture is most likely to be concentrated seemed sensible so I decided to talk to the experts. Thats when I discovered that the experts (technical department of extract fan manufacturer) are only concerned with selling whichever model of their fan meets regulations in a given situation.
My research suggests to me that mould starts to grow at around 55% humidity so I should look to extract damp air above that level but fans generally work on two settings 60% and 90% - is there a scientific reason for this and at what level of humidity should I set my fan to operate?
Experts talk about air flow in litres per second and how many air changes are required per hour. Taken together this suggests it is possible to calculate which is the best fan for a particular room but regulations get in the way and fan manufacturers say that the size of the room is irrelevant - maybe to regulations but surely not to achieving a healthy environment. Do I need a fan with a greater capacity for a larger room and if not, why not?

Does that suggest you were unable to understand the post beyond that point or it was simply too long for you?

Does that suggest you were unable to understand the post beyond that point or it was simply too long for you?

If you expect people who are vastly more qualified than you to give you guidance and advice for free, you're going about it the wrong way.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion but this freedom also entitles me to mine and to express myself in any way which is courteous and polite. Since my post is, in my opinion, both I do not understand your problem. If I have inadvertently broken a rule of the forum I apologise and would be grateful to hear which one. I would hate to waste your time so please do not feel obliged to respond on any off-topic subject like courtesy, syntax or lessons in etiquette as none of these is required thank you. For the record the post was placed on a couple of other boards where people with greater experience than me provided useful answers without feeling the need to be pejorative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back