Means Test Jobseekers / Savings etc

Cruzer123

My wife works in an industry hard hit by COVID, her roster is sporadic (worked 8 days this year) and she has been in receipt of part time jobseekers (€203 pw) for the weeks she doesn't work.

Social Welfare now want to means test us, I have had a look at the form they sent her and while things are tight week to week we have a primary income, savings, investments & rental income etc. (Interestingly there's no where on the form to detail rental profits / losses)

Given the above are we wasting our time ?

Hell yeah.

Wife worked in airline industry. Dole has finished. One income. Mortgage. No savings. No investments. And no option for any form of support.
It's never a true means test because they dont consider your outgoings. Only your income.

Social welfare/State is not your friend. They will expect you to liquidate your assets to cover any shortfall in living costs.
When you are really in dire straits and have nothing then you should have no problem with the means test.

Social welfare/State is not your friend. They will expect you to liquidate your assets to cover any shortfall in living costs.
When you are really in dire straits and have nothing then you should have no problem with the means test.
And what's so strange or unfair about that? :oops:
Do you think that people should be able to sit on assets while getting social welfare without it being subject to PRSI contributions (benefits) or means testing (allowances)?
If so, why?

Last edited:

Ah! So that's why the first €20,000 of savings are completely disregarded for means test purposes, I always wondered!

Ah! So that's why the first €20,000 of savings are completely disregarded for means test purposes, I always wondered!
You have to be down to your last €20,000 before they'll give you anything?! The inhumanity of it! And those kids in Syria think they have it bad...

Social welfare/State is not your friend. - True
They will expect you to liquidate your assets to cover any shortfall in living costs. - Partly True -first 20k is disregarded
When you are really in dire straits and have nothing then you should have no problem with the means test. - True

;)

I have friends who for their own reasons decided to not to marry up to now. She worked in an industry that was heavily impacted and benefited from short time working social welfare. That is now coming to an end and is now becoming means tested. Nothing wrong with that but the Department of Social Welfare have decided that she has a partner and we want to take into account what he earns for the test. Ok, that seems fair. Meanwhile Revenue up the road looked at the same couple and said to the guy you are not married so you don't get to share her unused tax credits.....

Now that's not fair.

Back