Mean landlords/ladies

D

deew

I need to let off steam.Ive just moved into a rented house ,which is quite near where my own house is..I will be here for two weeks.
:The owner of the house was raving about it,and in fact its being adverised on the internet,the description is unbelievable!!
It says, it has a modern bathroom with power shower. This is in fact a 50 yr old house and the bathroom must be around 20 years old.The shower is electric and its a disgrace.when I shower which is in the bath,the water doesnt drain, I phoned land lady about this and she informed me that there was a plunger in the bathroom that should be used after the shower!! Dear God!.
The kitchen doesnt bear going into too much detail on.sufice to say ,I had to do an industrail clean on it.
The carpets are smelly,the curtains realy old,the TV stand in bits.
And the best bit, I get all this for 525 euro a WEEK! then she told me I had to pay her in cash,that would be 1050 plus 200e for utilitys for the 2 weeks.
All this wouldnt be too bad if I didnt know her ,but Im renovating my house and this "woman " is a neighbour.
I rented out my home in the past and paid the tax on the income,plus it was really clean and in perfect condition for a lot less money.
I would hate to be depending on welfare where one relies on landlords/ladys.
Some people are mean to the core.
thanks for allowing me to vent my frustration.
PS; Im just back from holidays and the builders have been delayed due to the Irish weather,so I was stuck for a couple of weeks,and boy did she know how to have me over a barrel.

Oh dear, what a welcome home! Does your neighbour think "power shower" is a shower that needs electricity, i.e. "power" :eek:
One would assume that the cash you had to pay her is being declared to the Revenue and you have been given a receipt?
Yes you're right, some people are mean to the core, I saw an eastern European friend being treated like dirt by an Irish landlady (he would phone her about getting his deposit back, having left the house in far better condition than he got it in, and this woman would start talking back to him in Irish [which was not her 1st language]!) . Threshold and PRTB gave us very useful information and my friend got sorted eventually.
Hopefully your neighbourly landlady will get what's due to her sometime soon and that the benefit of your holiday won't wear off too quickly!

why did you accept this place, i assume you checked it out and knew it was a a bit of a dump but you still agreed to rent it. a b+b would probably work out cheaper, plus i'd imagine it would be cleaner too.

€525 a week?
You'd easily get a B&B or budget hotel for this.

Don't forget to get a receipt and ask for their PPS number and judge their reaction

clubman I was abroad for three weeks, during this time I got updates from the builders and about a week and a half into the holiday, it was clear that the builders wouldnt be finished by the time we returned, which was the plan.
I phoned this woman ,as I had seen the tennants move out before I left for holiday.
It was available,it was on my road, it looked perfect ,from the outside,and she was raving about it on the phone to me.( I had never seen inside it ).
So I arrive home ,and the taxi drops me to this house.only then did I get to see what it was like.It wasnt possible without huge stress to find somewhere else, as there was me, my husband and four kids,we had been traveling for hours and were exhausted plus it was 8 o clock at night.
so hopefully you will understand how difficult it was to find somewhere under the circumstances,if things had been different I would have told her where to stuff it.
A b and b, for two weeks ,with the 6 of us plus all our luggage and the kids starting school next week,Dont think so.
Tree tiger; thanks for your reply, just what I needed..I do think what goes around comes around.
micimlo;I gave her 1250 yesterday thats for two WEEKS rent and 200e for utilities. She will not give a recipt as she told me she wanted cash,( obviously for a reason)
The big problem is we are all exhausted and stressed and cant face moving again for just 2 weeks and she knows this.
Great idea re the pps number, Id be afraid to ask her now,but when I move out I will!
I cant do the b and b thing, its too difficult with the kids and so much stuff.
thanks for all the replys.sure Ill soldier on _)

Last edited by a moderator:
Say it to her before you pay her the next lot that you can claim alot of it back on tax, but if she doesn't want to give you her pps maybe you can take a discount (seems the least you deserve and I would still look at claiming some back anyway).

deew it sounds like you were in a bit of a desperate need and this lady knew (and took advantage of) that. Not sure what you can do now given that you have already handed over the cash but a couple of things spring to mind. First of all, you are in the house now (and so have the keys!) so you now have a bit of power over this lady. Therefore I would start playing hardball with her now, such as demand a receipt and also her pps number - you can threaten to report her if she refuses either and you can also contact the PTRB using her name and address if she won't give her pps number. You are definitely paying way over the odds but given that the cash has already been handed over I think you should just put this down as a lesson learned and not fester over it. One thing to bear in mind is that there is a fair chance that your house won't be ready in 2 weeks time (builders not being the best at meeting their deadlines and all that!) so you may need to stay in this house a bit longer - if you do just remember you hold the keys to the house now and so are in a better position to negotiate any further rent due!

While obviously considering that this lady will remain your neighbour and so you need to tread a little bit carefully, I think the idea of seeking her PPS number and a receipt is a good one.

"I've just found out that we can claim back tax relief against the rent we're paying. I just need your PPS number and a receipt." If she refuses, you can tell her that she can give you a substantial discount or you can submit the claim anyway, using just her name and address.

deew that is a scandalous price to have to pay her for that house. Definitely ask her for her PPS no. etc., It might shake her up a bit.

Hmmmm .... dirty.... :cool:

Clubman, I am amazed that you removed what I regarded as a valid post this morning on the basis that it was pointless/off topic - when you regularly post comments like this? Do as I say and not as I do, is it?

Your off topic post was not in Letting Off Steam where the rules are slightly more lax. But if you have a problem then use the Report Post facility.

HI, thanks to you all for your support, it really helped,to calm me down.
She is a neighbour,but she now lives in another estate,and lets out her old house (the one Im in).
I turned on the tap in the bath today and the water came flooding towards me!! I then noticed that the top of the tap is missing,its a hot and cold tap so it came out like a fountain..!!
I am going in two weeks,there are 8 builders on site to get the upstairs finished .And they are doing a fantastic job.I will feel unclean untill I get home LOL.

Nightmare to come home to after a holiday! You will really appreciate your new home when you move in and then you can put all this behind you. Just put it down to a bad experience and look to the future in your new home with your family. I would agree that the price you are paying looks way over the norm (unless its in Ailesbury/Shrewsbury Road or the like) and I would agree with other posters re RSI/PRTB/Tax.

Back