Meals for 6 for the price of a box of Cornflakes?

We bought a large Tesco chicken on Monday, cost €9.55.
Day 1. We had a roast chicken dinner plus vegetables grown in our garden plus one other bought vegetable.
Day 2. We had the same meal.
Day 3, Today. We are making a chicken stew.
Days 4 and 5. We expect to be able to make a chicken curry and a chicken pasta dish out of the remainder.
We have also had some toasted chicken sandwiches.

O.K. after that we will be all chickened out but we got great value out of this and 5 to 6 days eating between two people.

Some bird :cool:

In our house a chicken would not last that long though. We had roast chicken last night ( Aldi, free range about 5.99) with potatoes, carrots, peppers, onions and a few more random veg. The dinner probably cost more like 10 or 11 euro if you count in the veg. There will only be enough left overs for potato cakes OR two adult lunches. I've made chicken stock before with the carcass, but I've plenty of that in the freezer. And anyway, that's just stock. We have 5 to feed in our house but the thread was about feeding 6. So I don't see a chicken lasting as long for 6.

Also I know I'm using freerange but that's a conscious choice.

Yes but throw in some leftover bits and pieces of veg from the fridge, boil it up, blend it and you have a pot of soup which would provide a lunch for a family of six.

Yes but throw in some leftover bits and pieces of veg from the fridge, boil it up, blend it and you have a pot of soup which would provide a lunch for a family of six.

Sure, I often do at the weekend. But it's not the basis for the meal. Vegetables are the basis for veg soup, or lentils, or whatever.

Back