MBT (Masai Barefoot Technology) Trainers

Hi,
I bought some MBT's lately. Its too early to say if they do all they're supposed to, however I will say this, they are THE most comfortable shoe I've ever worn. I am officially a high heel convert and would wear them all the time if I could.

Just one more thing - don't buy a pair from a website. You must be properly fitted for these. I normally take a size 6 shoe and my MBT size is 37 2/3 (just less than a size 5). Seemingly its imperative that you have a good snug fit.

Happy shopping!

You comment re: Size. I got fitted for MBTs recently. I normally wear 37 in a shoe but my MBTs are 38 2/3. That's the opposite to you?

And here comes a warning::)
I have had back problems for quite a while now and eventually put aside time to go to a chiropractor. I had worn MBTs for about 8 months previous and found them to be exteremely comfy, basically wore them all the time.

However when I asked my chiropractor if it was safe to wear them he told me while he could see the concept, but they could be dangerous to wear with a back problem. (My pelvis was twisted which was 'throwing out' my whole back and the muscles either side of my spine were already overworked). The problem is the MBTs depend on core strength and I was only aggravating the already stressed muscles in my back. (The shoes did not cause the injury)
They should be safe for me once my spine is properly aligned.

So be wary of just buying these shoes off the shelf without professional advice. They may be doing more harm than good.

someone I know twisted their ankle in them last week.
And she had been using them for over a year.
That does not mean that they were to blame. You would need to go over sideways to twist your ankle and while I can see them causing you to go over forwards or backwards, I can not see them sending you sideways.

They are actually curved front to back AND side to side forcing you to balance somewhere in the middle. I can see how this happened.

They are actually curved front to back AND side to side forcing you to balance somewhere in the middle. I can see how this happened.
Mine do not seem to be that way. Just front and back. I am trying to wobble a little from side to side and can not do so.

I just noticed theres an MBT shoe shop opened in Fownes Street , Temple bar

Can I add to this, I've had mine for a year and they are the most comfortable shoes/runners I own. I had about a week of sore feet as I adjusted and now I can honestly say that I could walk further in them than anything else. They also make me walk quicker, they seem to push you on. I haven't noticed a much of a toning difference but then I don't walk enough.

The one thing I definitely noticed within a few months was that I'd always had cold feet and poor-ish circulation in my lower legs and that has improved.

I have no medical problems and if I did have I'd ask my dr/physio etc. , the salesman in the shop did say that to me and gave a useful demonstration. (Chemist on o'connell st). I would advise only buying them somewhere where they'll take the time with you to check you're walking properly, because you're not meant to lean back on the heels or tip-toe about.

I bought the trainers about three weeks ago. They are brilliant but way too hot for the summer! So I treated myself to a pair of sandals on Friday last. Just as good. I went for a 30 min. walk last night in them and could feel the pull on my shin muscles as I walked up a gentle hill. Excellent!

I bought mine about 3 weeks ago as well, wore them a little each day in order to "wear them in" as advised in the shop - decided on thursday night (after watching the dvd) that I would wear them on my 5k walk (which I do most nights), such a difference, the usual hill that I don't even notice now was totally different to walk up and when I got out on the flat road they were great except that I had to cut my walk short as the blisters started to arrive. I did'nt wear them again until sat at home around the house and yesterday (monday) I wore them all day at home and not a bother - I might chance them again tonight on the long walk.

I plan to buy the sandals in a few weeks for everyday wear if I get on ok with these for the walking. I have no medical problems either just I read about them and hopefully they will help me to tone up - mini gym as they call them.

for anybody wanting to buy a pair of mbt's i suggest you read yesterdays article in the irish times.
[broken link removed]

as well as this article
[broken link removed]

A pharmacist friend of mine no longer stocks them as too many clients were complaining about them as well them wearing out too quickly.

Back