MBNA & Unusual transactions (live)

stuart

Looking at my credit card statement last night (2 Nov 06) and there was transactions with Aer Lingus which are not mine in October (roughly €900)

Contacted MBNA to notify them
Transferred to disputed transactions section (1800 211 423)
Asked have I been in Lison or Luxembourg lately as that is where the tickets purchased where to
Asked me if I knew a "Xxxxxx Xxxxx" who the tickets were issued to
Replied never heard of her

They are contacting Aer Lingus to find more info on tickets issued etc

MODS:I was think about mosting on this thread as it unfolds (as close to real time as possible) to see if it would assist anyone else who may be confronted with the same issues

stuart said:
MODS:I was think about mosting on this thread as it unfolds (as close to real time as possible) to see if it would assist anyone else who may be confronted with the same issues

I'm presuming you mean posting?

I don't see the problem-as long as you don't reveal any info that may affect your case.

Having had a (significant) fraudulent transaction processed on my own cc earlier this week I would certainly be interested in hearing your experience.

Maybe you card was skimmed or somebody obtained the relevant details some other way. It happens. Cancel the card and get a replacement just in case. And pursue the chargeback on the seemingly unauthorised transaction so you're not out of pocket.

Was oh hold for a while and got knocked off waiting on help

Rang back and was transferred to the Chester "Fraud department" immediately

Was asked,

Was the card out of your sight lastely?
Has anyone access to teh card?
Etc

All the obvious questions that the answer would be "no" to, but still part of the process so they need to be asked

Then informed that the card will be cancelled the amount outstanding is not of my concern
(I also owe a small amount of my own which I should sort through customer support)
I was offered a replacement card to be issued straight away

I will be contacted re all the transactions on the card over the past few months sometime in the next couple of weeks to try and identify where the card details became compromised

I will also receive some correspondence relating to the matter
Some sort of declarations that the card use was not mine, etc
I will post if there is any future investigations or more likely just the general jist of the correspondence involved (again without divulging anything personal)

Result:

Matter has been dealt with in an efficient manner and has been treated as a serious issue on their part, without putting the onus on to me to resolve
And I think as good as a resoloution as possible
Probably as good as you could expect and hopefully not much more for me to do

Stuart

Check if you will be hit with a second €40 stamp duty charge for the new card - you probably should not since the SD should actually be charged on the account as opposed to the card itself, but best to check.

Maybe you card was skimmed or somebody obtained the relevant details some other way. It happens. Cancel the card and get a replacement just in case. And pursue the chargeback on the seemingly unauthorised transaction so you're not out of pocket.

I rarely use the card and never out of sight
The bills are disposed of correctly

As you'll see from my post the other issues were addressed

Check if you will be hit with a second €40 stamp duty charge for the new card - you probably should not since the SD should actually be charged on the account as opposed to the card itself, but best to check.

I'll check with customer service, cheers

Received a latter from MBNA asking to confirm that the fraudulent transactions were not mine along with the same questions re usage, possession, etc and to sign same

Resonable and to be expected

Stuart

hi u mentioned u dispose of u statement correctly? can u elaborate on that?

We've recently had a fraudulent transaction and so far have found MBNA very helpful. No correspondence re the matter yet. How long did it take you to get new card?

hi u mentioned u dispose of u statement correctly? can u elaborate on that?

In our case, we keep the statements on file for a period of time. Occasionally we are sent correspondence asking if we want a loan and we shred all these letters as they have our address on them.

thats prefect way to dispose of the statement, unless someone steal ur post or if u notice statement went missing.

i would recommend u contact Gardai Fraud Squad although it may be a little late now. at least they can trace and catch those people before they got on the plane!

Back