MBNA - Extension of Interest Free Period

Macstuff

I have an MBNA Credit Card, with a balance of approx. 4k, which is interest free until Jan. 2013.
I can pay this balance prior to the Jan. deadline, and am planning on closing the account then, as I only wanted to card to store the balance interest free.
I have heard that in some cases like this, MBNA will offer the person planning to close the account the facility to do another interest free balance transfer, for a further six months, in an attempt to retain the business.
Does anyone know about anything about this? Has it happened you? Do you ask for it or do they openly offer it?

Would you not prefer to pay it off so you are one debt less? I don't know the answer to your question but you wouldn't want to be risking it, I imagine the interest rate is fairly hefty.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that they would extend the interest free credit period as I am a low credit risk and they might hope that they would earn some good money from me in the future - through spending on the card, interest payments etc.
I know they used to do this in the past (ie extend interest free periods to compliant customers), rather than lose potentially profitable business, but I suppose the times have changed!

Back