MBNA credit card

munsterman25

Hi,

I use an AIB Visa Card and want to switch to an MBNA credit card to support a club.
How are MBNA to deal with? How do I pay the bill. Is there anything I should watch out for

I always pay my bill on time

MBNA are more expensive than AIB for foreign currency transactions. You may want to check this out before switching. Also I do not think that MBNA have an online system?

MBNA do have an online system where you can view transactions, request limit increase etc. But their customer service (imho) is usless. Impossible to get through and if you have any problems with them they are slow, inefficient and difficult to deal with. I closed my mbna cc for these reasons.

Hmm

I do buy some stuff from uk so currency exchange charges wud effect me. Is it that much more?

CAn I just walk into a bank and pay the bill?

MBNA charge 2.65% - AIB charge 1.75%.

MBNA also charge you for cash withdrawals even when your account is in credit BUT if your card is used fraudulently when it's in credit, they won't refund the money becuase it's your money that's been taken. They also give no interest free days on cash.

If I were you I'd set up a standing order to the club as as far as I know, the club doesn't get that much.....you might end up spending less than you would on fx charges to MBNA.

I changed from an AIB credit card to an MBNA one a few years ago and I think the customer service at MBNA is much better. I pay the bill online through my AIB account.

The MBNA online service is easy to use. The only thing I ever had difficulty with was changing my address online because they messed it up every time. I ended up calling them and it was sorted out straight away.

I use MBNA and have no problems - I find the online system very very easy to use.

They do send a lot of junk mail though, I've asked to be removed from the mailing list a couple of times, to no avail yet as they say it takes 8 weeks to go thru the system. . .insane.

No issues with MBNA either and as with Cahir I pay my bill through my current account online. Never had a problem with their customer service on the odd occassion that I did have to contact them.

Demoivre, do you not find they send *a lot* of junk mail e.g. those credit card cheques.

I found their customer service to be top notch. unbeatable in fact. You could reverse charges to them from anywhere in the world for any kind of query on your account. However i changed to a BOI card now as their FX rate is much cheaper and they dont send me any junk such as those cheques which cost you a fortune if you use them and pre approved loans at terrible rates.

I seem to going against everythread above, but I had nothing but problems with their customer service, I contacted them on numerous occasions to request that they stop sending me out cheques, which they refused to do, they kept arriving!!!
I had opened a credit card with a special offer, the special offer never arrived and despite contacting them on numerous occasions I was basically told to stop contacting them because the details would arrive at some stage although they were unable to tell me when. After six months and no details arriving I rang again to be told that they had been sent to me a couple of months before I had initially begun complaining of their non arrival!!! I've had numerous other issues I could keep going on.....

I've been with them about 4 years and only got cheques sent to me once. I've never used them so I just rip them up and put them in the bin.

I did that with the first lot of cheque thinking that if I didn;t use any they wouldn't send me any more, but no they just kept arriving every couple of months!

I have had a MDNA CC do yourself a huge favor and dont go near them!
They are unplesent to deal with and are not helpfully.

Luckly MBNA is not one of my finacial problems, I never ran up any debt with them, Bills were paid on time with them. And i still found them unpleasent and not very easy to deal with.

annR said:
Demoivre, do you not find they send *a lot* of junk mail e.g. those credit card cheques.

Yeah . occasionally they send me credit card cheques which I just shred. They also send me stuff about loan offers which I tend to read because in general I like number crunching and reading about finance generally.

I've used MBNA for years and have had no problems whatsoever with them. In fact, I've always found them to be the most courteous and helpful on the phone compared to staff in other company's call centres (although I tend to call them as soon as they open or late in the evening when its not so busy).

The contention that MBNA's customer service is only an issue for those with debts is an insulting one. The original poster enquired about customer service, replies were posted. MBNA's customer service is generally regarded (in the industry) as being below par.

Who condended that? I myself just wondered. And to whom is it insulting? The consumer or MBNA?

Back