MBNA credit card changed to AvantCard

STEINER

Hi,

Anybody else with an MBNA CC tried to register it with AvantCard online banking?

I was able to use my MBNA CC online account up to last Thursday or Friday. All attempts to register with AvantCard have failed. They don't seem to be quite ready.

[broken link removed]

Last edited:
Hi Steiner

I tried to register yesterday as well.

I rang the number today but ran out of time waiting for an operator. I generally pay through my bank online and that a/c number is still the same.

Marion

AvantCard don't say when their site will be up and running - annoying, got so used to being able to monitor the card closely.

@Marion - did you not get a letter a month or so ago telling you to change your account number for online payments?

@Mrs Vimes

I can't locate the letter. I have a leaflet Important information about changing to AvantCard in March in front of me that tells that I can continue to make payments through my bank a/c to the same a/c number: 900001059. So that's what I did.

Marion

Just dug out the letter there in case I imagined it :)

Dated 11 february

the payments you are making to your account via telephone or internet banking are being processed using an old 16 digit card number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. This needs to be replaced with your current 16 digit card number YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. Please update this information before you make your next payment.

Also noticed about 6 weeks ago that vodafone hadn't had been paid in a few months - they have a DD from this card - turns out when I rang them that the card they were using expired in 2008! MBNA had continued to pay out for four and a half years! I gave vodafone my current card number but they still haven't taken a payment.

The Leaflet says:

After March 15, you should continue to use your MBNA issued credit card which will remain valid until its expiry date.

There's also a bit about making sure that the credit card registered with the bank might be an old number or one that was lost or stolen and it states to make sure that an up-to-date credit card number is being used if making payments from your bank a/c.

Marion

aaaah, obviously the number on record for mine was so out of date on internet banking, DDs, etc that it stuck out!

Took ages but eventually registered with them and logged on,its far from a finished product,no statements,no details whatsoever of itemised purchases,just an overview of how much is outstanding and payment date.

Website looks like a revved up version of the PRTB site and that's not a good thing.

They should not have been allowed roll over from MBNA if they were not prepared,this nonsense of a half built website is simply just not good enough.

Hello,

I was a very happy MBNA customer for over a decade (have cards elsewhere too, if I'm honest :)) ... however, since AvantCard took over, I've seen almost no positives:

- A significant increase in my interest rate (I've a platinum card)

- Cancellation of the cheque book facility (which was extremely handy, given I don't have one on my current account and only write a half dozen cheques per year)

- Termination of their Text Messaging Service, where one could historically see recent transactions and check a balance for example

- Now, suggestion that their website is very poor.

All in all, I'm seriously considering cancelling my card with them at this stage.

The only one thing that stays in my mind is, that having acquired the former MBNA business, they have probably helped save a few hundred jobs in CarrickonShannon and I've a lot of time for the staff there, given previous experience in dealing with them was always excellent. Obviously, if we all leave the company, then they won't need their staff etc.

So, the big question is what to do ?

Regards

Mr. Earl.

I guess Mr Earl you will have to decide whether or not the company benefits you.

There are plenty of other players in the market - other fish in the sea.

I don't generally pay interest so that's not an issue for me. I got caught once with MBNA and never again.
I never used the cheque book facility.
I never used the text messaging service.

Perhaps I wasn't getting the benefit of the whole package. But, I was getting what I wanted from the company.

They had a great online service. I hope that this will be the case for AvantCard.

Marion

Avant say they will be sorted by midday today.
I rang the Avant helpline as my credit card was declined for purchase of health insurance and I was also unable to register on their website.
I did get to speak to a nice man after 28 minutes(!) who apologised and reassured that all would be right by noon today.
Bad start for Avant but hopefully they will start delivering or its time to start shopping around for other options.

Im the same as the rest of you, its peeing off at this stage. Is there an alternative which would give a better rate and/or rewards?

I just tried to register for the Avant online service and it keeps telling me that my details don't match those they have on record and that I have to register first before I can use the site. Which is what I was trying to do. Sigh.

I'll wait another week or so since I don't really need to access my account online for anything in particular. Just like admiring the ever decreasing balance. :)

However, I did try to phone them using the number for calls from outside Ireland (+353719656262, the same as the old MBNA number for international calls) and it seems to be disconnected. Perhaps if anyone is on the phone to them you could mention that to them, just to let them know? Thanks.

I'll be home in April so if I haven't managed to get registered for the website by then I can phone them using the other number anyway. But thanks also for the point about the credit card number used for payments from online banking because my credit card was stolen and replaced a year ago and I cannot remember if I actually changed it with Banking 365 and if MBNA just kept accepting payments and manually applying them to my new card I wouldn't have noticed. Better go and check that right now.

Edited to add: and of course the old number was still there. So silly of me to not realise, must go through the list of other stuff that was stolen a year ago and see what else I might have missed updating. And I had thought I was doing so well just to get everything replaced. And now I know that it was probably just my own fault that it seemed to be taking longer and longer each month for payments to actually reach the card. Have done a test payment of 10 euro just to make sure it's working, then four more monthly payments and no more credit card debt for me!

Most annoying! I too have been a happy MBNA customer for years and can't access my on-line account. I did try to register and after eventually getting everything right it just hangs. The "Contact Us" section on the website is most unhelpful and I've tried the help line many times without any response. Does anyone have an EMail address for them and also should the Central Bank be informed of this mess, I do appreciate that the jobs in Leitrim have been saved but if this is how we are going to be treated the regulator should be involved

It has just worked for me (using chrome). The only difference from yesterday is that they no longer ask for the last six digits of your phone number. While I'm fairly certain that my mobile number is the only one MBNA would ever have had, it's not impossible that that's what was causing problems for me yesterday.

Of course, having gotten registered I was expecting there to be some functionality but other than the facility to make a payment via laser or direct debit, there doesn't seem to be much available yet. I've done a test payment via laser/visa debit just to check if that goes through any faster than the one I did from B365 yesterday. Of course, not having any functionality available I don't know if that payment has arrived yet, although I assume not.

Also interesting to note that my statement for March is already issued and minimum payment is due by 15th April. I thought the date for payment was usually the 19th but don't have any statements near me to check. It might be different for everyone but worth checking just in case you might need to make a payment slightly earlier than usual.

Hi,

I've just registered for their online services. The "comming soon" type messages in respect of some features, I can live with in the short term no problem ....

However, I was amazed at the level of personal information requested for the online registration, not least because much of this was secure personal information which every Bank worth it's salt would tell you should not be disclosed etc etc. Unreal ... it was like we were supplying AvantCard with all of our personal information, only for them to later display it onscreen for you !

Early days I know, but I'm not impressed .... I think it may be time to visit the best buys table for credit cards ;)

Regards

Mr. Earl.

Hi,
However, I was amazed at the level of personal information requested for the online registration, not least because much of this was secure personal information which every Bank worth it's salt would tell you should not be disclosed etc etc. Unreal ... it was like we were supplying AvantCard with all of our personal information, only for them to later display it onscreen for you

I did think something the same but thought I was just being paranoid (which doesn't mean they're not out to get me, I know :) ). However, since I don't have long to go before I've finished paying down my debt, I'm ignoring it. I already have an excellent Mastercard with decent rewards here in Germany (paid off in full every month and used purely for convenience) so four more months or so and I won't care any more what Avantcard do.

Great,

Now they are hanging up on me, when I try to call them (get the automated message when it answers, then goes to an engaged tone and cuts off ...). Tried both the 0818 number and the 071 number ....

Janet,
I think regardless of how long you may intend staying with these guys, we need to all be very careful with our personal details and thats one of the things I'm going to tell them when I finally get to speak with them - it's genuinely not safe asking for this level of personal information, imho.

Regards

Mr. Earl.

Well, I've just tried to register and it says the page is unavailable. I've already tried to register a few times this week. I used the MBNA website a lot & hate not being able to see recent transactions. Not happy.

Hi,
I also tried to access new registration page but the page returns to start,seems registration page is inactive??

Back