Re: Mbna

Hummm,

Interesting to say the least ...

While looking at the MBNA website I've just noticed something else:

* Pigsback Gold Card from MBNA has an APR of 14.9%

* Platinum Card from MBNA has an APR of 13.9%

but ...

* The Gold Card from MBNA has a cheaper APR, at just 10.9%

& there was I thinking the Pigsback Gold Card looked like a good deal, given the points, better level of CS than other credit card providers offered etc :(

- Also, any idea why the Platinum APR is more expensive than their Gold Card, I had always thought that Platinum was a higher "status" card and as such, would be offered on cheaper terms etc.

Cheers

G>
http://www.rpoints.com/newbie

Re: Mbna

Garrettod said:
- Also, any idea why the Platinum APR is more expensive than their Gold Card, I had always thought that Platinum was a higher "status" card and as such, would be offered on cheaper terms etc.

I would have thought that was generally the case as well, although their Platinum card does seem to come with additional benefits not offered on the Gold card.

Hi

Yes, they do plug their wonderful insurance package alright, but to be honest, based upon a past experience with the payment cover insurance offered by MBNA a number of years ago, I'd not be getting to excited about insurance here I'm afraid :(

I guess that said, if it's a "status" card your after, then perhaps the Ulster Bank Zinc card is the one to go for ... although Im not convinced there is such thing as a status card really, anymore. Gone are the time when gold cards were very hard to get etc - hence Im probably going to end up with a plain black card, with the word "Plastic" on it & a 9.5% APR from BOSI when all is said and done ;)

- sure I guess, if I really want to try and get some status on the back of all this, I could just pretend the reason its black is because its a peice of coal with a diamond still inside it :D :D :D

Cheers

G>

The balance transfer offering and 0% interest free period for 9 months on the Zinc card is still a better deal in my view. I don't have one myself, I went for an AIB card as I like having access online and the ability to make instant payments (I have my current account with AIB).

Garrettod said:
Hi

Yes, they do plug their wonderful insurance package alright, but to be honest, based upon a past experience with the payment cover insurance offered by MBNA a number of years ago, I'd not be getting to excited about insurance here I'm afraid :(

I don't know how good it is-not very I suspect, but these are the only reasons I can see why an MBNA Platinum card may be more 'desirable' than a MBNA Gold card.

Sorry, I know I'm like a cracked record on this topic - rates should be irrelevant to you - don't borrow on your credit card, use for convenience/security only.

BM

I would

Like to say, that MBNA, are not as good as you think, we had loads of them a coupla yrs back, they just kept throwing more and more credit at us, ok, its might sound nice, but, look, it can, get you in trouble, we were lucky, but it isnt natural to have a 30k card issued with credit, I can see how people can be tempted, but remember, YOU HAVE TO REPAY IT!!!

Sorry just a word of caution, to the bigger earners.

As Bank Manager says, use your credit card for your convenience, not for the banks. A credit card can be extremely useful, and sometimes you can't do without it in certain circumstances, but make sure you keep within your limit and pay off the balance when you get the bill. That way the card will work for you and not the other way round.

Bank Manager said:
Sorry, I know I'm like a cracked record on this topic - rates should be irrelevant to you - don't borrow on your credit card, use for convenience/security only.
Glad you said it. Last time I mentioned this several people jumped down my throat complaining that I was like a cracked record. :(

Ok, I had originally spilt this thread from another one as it was taking a thread on MBNA loans off topic. Garrettod was querying why MBNA Platimum rates are higher then Gold rates.

Of course it's much much better not to be paying credit card interest vs. not paying interest at all (the same could be said to apply to all forms of debt), but that fact is if you are paying interest the rate does matter.

The point about rates being irrelevant has been made 3 times in this thread. If that doesn't get the point accross I don't know what will-so let's save it for another thread (I'm sure there will be one), eh?

LOL :D

... and there was me afraid to even post in agreement with CCOVICH's original thread split, for fear of being accused of taking the thread off topic again ;)

Anyway, back to the original topic ......

Cheers

G>

Back