MBA - Masters - Smurfit Business of School

D

darraghdog

Hi Folks,
I am looking to get sponsorship from work to do a 2 year part-time MBA with Smurfit Business School starting in September. I owuld be doing a 40 hour week in parallel. We are also expecting aour first child in summer... could anybody let me know what sort of time is required for the MBA and share their experiences ? I'm worried this may be a bot too much to take on...
Thanks,
Darragh.

Hi,
I haven't done an mba , but myself and my wife had a baby a while ago and I didn't realise until I had one, how much time they take up.
If your partner intends staying at home and looking after baby then you've a good chance she'll do all the baby minding stuff and you could continue to do your day job and your mba.
However if she wants to go back to work after 5 months say , then I reckon you might find it difficult doing an MBA.
I think you should have a chat with your partner about how you're going to manage when things such as the following happen:
baby cries all night;baby gets sick; who is going to pick up baby from creche when creche closes, can you afford creche fees etc

Living through the above, with waking baby, sick baby etc. Hard enough to get into work. Wife did post grad OU MBA before sprog, she found it tough, chews up a lot of time. Initially the baby may sleep a lot during the day but as they get older (5 or 6 months), its much more difficult to manage, when I get home from work, I am on baby sitting duty as soon as I walk in the door, especially if junior has been a bit cranky during the day. What kind study hours does the course need?

Did something similar a few years back. The MBA will take up alot of your spare time alright. The way I managed it was to get up at 6am on a Sunday and do 6 hours study to lunch time and then take the rest of the day off with the wife and chisler. I also tried to do one night mid week study from 8pm to 10pm. It is tough going but if you have an understanding wife/partner and your employer does not expect overtime from you (which mine did) it is not too bad. The academic year is fairly short also when it is in semesters.

Hope this helps.

Christy

One of my friends did the Open University MBA which seemed to take a fair bit of his time. Another of my work collegues did one in Dublin (Smurfit I think), but missed loads of lectures due to work commitments & relocation, however he still got the MBA somehow!

I've considered doing an MBA but have serious reservations. To me it just seems to be an expensive way to get a few extra initials after your name. Neither guys I know have received major payrises or promotions since completing their MBAs. I'm starting to believe the MBA is just a load of marketing hype!

I'd be interested in hearing other opinions/stories.
(BTW: I'm an accountant).

If your partner intends staying at home and looking after baby then you've a good chance she'll do all the baby minding stuff and you could continue to do your day job and your mba.
So after spending 10 hours a day without getting away from the little one for more than a minute, you reckon wifey will continue to look after baby for the further 3-4 hours of the evening time too? When does Mr MBA intend to actually get to know his baby?

Hi Folks,

Thanks a lot for your replys... this is really great information. I have heard a quote of 15hours/week(every week of the year!) that is needed for the MBA. My priority would deffinitely be fatherhood, and then getting the masters... As I have quite a flexible job, home office etc., flexi-time, minimum OT, it sounds like it would be tough but not impossible.

An interesting point was brought up - is it worth the effort ??? (Incidentally the two people I know who have done it in Ireland are both doing quite well. And recently I got a different technical qualification which has directly helped my career.)

Darragh.

Back