Maynooth, Co Kildare

doodle

Hi looking to buy a home in maynooth and would really appreciate some advise on the best areas to buy. Safe and friendly estate, as i have 2 kids. i took a trip over to ireland a few weeks ago and looked around , maynooth was def more appealing than leixlip, so i am hoping to buy there. so If anyone has any advise on good estates in maynooth I would really appreciate it.

Re: maynooth

Depends on your budget of course, but Rockfield, Parklands, Castle Dawson and Moyglare would be some of the more settled estates with families in them. It is a university town so there is alot of rented accommodation in some of the estates. It is a lovely town and has lots of facilities.

Re: maynooth

I suppose around the 500k, would rather not having students though!! It is a lovely town I agree, and I am looking forward to living there, just really want to get the location right.

i will look into those also, do you know anything about these estates

fair bit about the above house.

Don't have any information on Carton Demense - it's not accessible via public transport.

Thank you for the info, saw a really nice house in moyglare abbey but luck would have it !!!! It is sale agreed. So back to daft and myhome for some more happy searching.

thanks again

Hi,
Do you live in Moyglare hall ? If so which type of house would you recommend we should look at?

Moyglare hall only has one way in and out, and it is a long way from the village, average of about a 2 mile walk depending on where in the estate you live. There is a pedestrian access to the moyglare road but it is in a phase which has not even begun, and in the current climate may not happen for a while. If you are a confirmed car user it wont be a problem but for using the train or getting around on foot its a long way out. Maynooth park is fairly settled, the houses are older but the gardens are bigger than you will get in the newer estates and the prices are good value. Personally I think castledawson is ugly and would depress me looking at it but its a "good" estate. Of the estates with semis moyglare abbey is probably the "best" not many rented houses, parklands and rockfield also good, and close to the train but consequently more expensive.

Moyglare hall only has one way in and out, and it is a long way from the village, average of about a 2 mile walk depending on where in the estate you live. There is a pedestrian access to the moyglare road but it is in a phase which has not even begun, and in the current climate may not happen for a while. If you are a confirmed car user it wont be a problem but for using the train or getting around on foot its a long way out. Maynooth park is fairly settled, the houses are older but the gardens are bigger than you will get in the newer estates and the prices are good value. Personally I think castledawson is ugly and would depress me looking at it but its a "good" estate. Of the estates with semis moyglare abbey is probably the "best" not many rented houses, parklands and rockfield also good, and close to the train but consequently more expensive.

It will have a ring-road to the N4 - but feck knows when that will ever be built, never mind the other house, oh and the pedestrian access.. It's a 18 minute walk, not 2 miles (I live in the back of the estate and walk each morning to the train station) but it is a fair bit out say after a long day's work. As said, if you have a car, no problem. Lots of green area, nice area, well constructed houses, though overpriced. Moyglare Abbey is nice and is closer to the village. Not too up on the houses the otherside of the village. Some housing estates up near Rathcoffey might be worth checking out, but then there is a lack of public transport should you choose to look there.

Hi Doodle,

There are new houses currently for sale in Griffin Rath Hall, details on www.coonan.com I live here at the moment and absolutely love it. It's very quiet, we have been here over a year and have experienced no problems. It's a little bit further out than some areas, but has very easy access to the motorway in the morning, and traffic isn't really an issue. We chose here over Moyglare Hall purely for traffic reasons, after we realised that we would have to go through traffic in the town every day if we lived there. I walk to the train every day, takes 20-25 minutes. The 67a bus goes out this road, and the 66 goes from the Straffan Rd (about 5/10 mins walk). The nitelink also stops outside the estate.

Only thing that might put you off is that the estate includes some duplexes, apartments etc, although this is the case in most new estates, including Moyglare Hall.

I agree with other posters that Parklands, Rockfield and Castle Dawson are also nice estates.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific messages. Good luck with your hunt!

Bought in Silken Vale in september. Have to say it's a lovely quiet estate with little or no students in it. Lots of kids out playing during the weekends.

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies, it really helps. Having rented for the last 3 years, I am really looking forward to finding a place to make my own mark on. And with 2 kids and all the baggage the less moving the better, but it is something that perhaps i should consider for the way the market is, and supoosedly going to decrease some more. My husband will be driving to clondalkin so perhaps i should consider Griffin Rath for that reason too. As for me it will just be my daughter going to school so walking will not be an issue for me.

Hi , sending someone to view a house in griffing rath tomoro for me before I fly back over myself, I think that that perhaps it is the best solution for my husbands commuting. So heres hoping it is ok and that I shall be joining all you good people in the local very soon. Thank you once again for the advise. Ps if anyone has anything bad to say about Griffin Rath let me know before i purchase.

thanks again

Griffin rath is much higher density than some of the older estates and very close to the motorway (good for a commute but what about noise and fumes) You should check if there is a service charge.

Hi doodle

As mentioned before I live in Griffin Rath (4 bed semi).

Negatives-as the other poster mentioned it is higher density than older estates. Unfortunately this is the case with any new estate, it's just the planning regulations. It doesn't affect us, but might if you bought a terraced house and were worried about parking etc.

Motorway-yes there is some motorway noise-none inside the house but obviously outside. If you want to check this out just go to the estate and walk around and see what you think. It's not close enough for fumes to be an issue.

I think any negatives from motorway noise are far outweighed by ease of access to the motorway. We usually access the motorway from the Celbridge interchange, meaning we don't have to sit at any traffic lights whatsoever which is great.

Only other negative I can think of is distance to the town, but to be honest this has been a positive for us as it means there are never gangs of young people wandering round the estate at night or at weekends.

No other negatives I can think of, our time here so far has been overwhelmingly positive. No anti social behaviour, great neighbours etc. Can see ourselves here for a very long time.

There is no service managment fee for houses, not sure what the case if for apartments/duplexes.

Also it's worth mentioning that there are new houses etc for sale there at the moment, make sure you consider these before a second hand, as you will be liable for less stamp duty

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi Suntot,

What about car parking spaces? I heard it's pretty congested in there?

Hi ixus

We live in a semi d which has a fairly large driveway, so parking isn't an issue for us. Because of this I don't really notice the parking situation elsewhere. Having said that, the parking spaces at the terraced houses near us do seem to be full every evening. It may vary at different parts of the estate, I'm not sure. Probably the best time to check it out would be after 9pm or so when everyone is home for the night

Hi everyone!!!

Thank you all for your input it is really very helpful. Well as luck would have it again!!! The only house I decide to see has had an offer put on it of almost the asking price, which is quite remarkable as there was no offer until I showed an interest??? From what I have seen and heard the asking price is far from what the vendors are receiving with the downfall in the market at the moment.

Anyway I will go and view it , So I have frantically got to find some other good properties in the 500 k mark to view before we fly over on sat.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Back