Max pension contribution

pauric

I'm not clear from reading the revenue website regarding the max tax free pension contribution I can make?

I'm in 30-39 age group so the max I can contribute is 20%. My employer is currently contributing 5% and I'm contributing 15%, what I'm not 100% clear on though is does that 20% limit the sum of employer and the employee contribution?

So really the question is, can I increase mine from 15% to 20% while employer contributes 5% and still be under the tax free limit?

It says in your linked article:
Employer PRSA contributions are:

• deemed for tax relief purposes to be made by the employee
  • added to the employee's actual contributions to determine if the above limits are reached
  • treated as a taxable employer benefit received by the employee.

you can contribute more of course but you won’t get tax relief above the thresholds of combined contributions.

what I'm not 100% clear on though is does that 20% limit the sum of employer and the employee contribution?

So really the question is, can I increase mine from 15% to 20% while employer contributes 5% and still be under the tax free limit?
you can increase from 15 to 20.

This is generally speaking incorrect.
Maybe so. Always open to correction. Is it not correct specifically for occupational pension schemes (which is what I assumed, perhaps lazily, was what the OP was referring to)?

Last edited:
The answer depends on what type of scheme you are contributing to. If it’s a conventional Occupational Pension, then the Employer contribution does not impact your allowable limits. However if you are contributing to a PRSA, then the allowable limit is inclusive of the Employer contribution.
So check what type of scheme you are contributing to.

Back