mattress,,memory foam vrs spring

kiwifruit

Hi, We are currently looking at getting a super kingsize bed. Could anyone tell me if the memory foam are the way to go. Tested a few and it seemed strange to sink into the bed. Would you go for the all foam mattress or the top couple of inches of foam and then the springs.
Also, Harvey Norman,Jim Langan and a couple more have very different prices for the same product.Wondering if there are good savings to be had by going up north,what are the name of furniture stores in Newry and will they deliver?

Cheers
Kiwi

Hi, We are currently looking at getting a super kingsize bed. Could anyone tell me if the memory foam are the way to go. Tested a few and it seemed strange to sink into the bed. Would you go for the all foam mattress or the top couple of inches of foam and then the springs.
Also, Harvey Norman,Jim Langan and a couple more have very different prices for the same product.Wondering if there are good savings to be had by going up north,what are the name of furniture stores in Newry and will they deliver?

Cheers
Kiwi

Hi Kiwi,

I went for the 100% memory foam a few years back... have slept soundly ever since! I find it firm but soft at the same time. I am not a fan of very soft beds as I find they give me lower back pain. I have other beds in the house that are not memory foam and I never sleep as soundly in them.

I got mine in 'Dreams' in Coolmine Industrial Park. Matress (King), if I recall correctly, was €600.

I have no affiliation to the above shop - I'm not entirely sure if they are still trading - just a satisfied customer.

-g

Cheers
Kiwi

Bought a memory foam from [broken link removed] for under €400 including postage. Very happy with it.

One minor point, could be a plus or a negative, memory foam mattresses are warmer than standard mattresses.

We got a pocket spring mattress with memory foam on top, absolutely love it, but it is definitely warmer than a regular mattress.

The only problem with memory foam is that it can cause problems if there is a big disparity in weight between the 2 people sleeping on it.

e.g. me = ahem 17st - herself = 9st. Herself finds herself rolling into the big hole on the left :) - so were changing to the spring mattress with foam top.

High density foam is heavy so you may wish to consider buying two X 3' 0" mattresses rather than one 6' 0". Our mattresses require turning end for end every so often and my wife can manage to two quite easily. It also sorts out the weight differential problem.

There should not be a weight problem with a good memory foam mattress. We have one and there is no change in the levels - I'm 2 stone lighter than Mr Mul. They are definitely super comfortable but a bit hot alright. We got ours from Viscostar, from a young fellow called Gavin Haverty and it was €379 for a king size, (half price) about 2 years ago. They're still the same price as far as I know. A word about the turning of the mattress - he told us not to turn it, to leave it with the same side up all the time. I have no connection with the above but if anyone wants to pm me I'll give you his mobile - I don't have it front of me right now and would have to look for it.

We don't turn ours over but simply turn it round on the bed i.e. the top surface stays on top but what was at the head of the bed is relocatyed to the foot of the bed.

We have a memory foam mattress, bought in Navan about 3 years ago. It's fantastic. My DH is quite a bit heavier than me and when he's turn in the bed, I'd nearly be catapulted to the ceiling. I don't even feel him turn over anymore.

It's a Sealy mattress, can't remember how much it was but I think it was around e1200.

Back