Mathematics BSc - Employment prospects?

Smythe

I was wondering if anyone had any comments on the possible employment prospects of someone graduating with a Maths BSc ?

Accountancy and teaching are the two most obvious avenues.

Anyone here aware of someone who graduated with such a degree and if they were able to access some other career path?

Perhaps it is easier to obtain employment with a degree in Mechanical (or Manufacturing) Engineering?

Thanks

Actuary, IT - Programming, Decision Support Systems, High end Finance - e.,g Hedge Funds. If they have the required interpersonal skills for business generally lacking in maths people then it is a good mixture.

Thank you, some interesting possibilities there enoxy.
I'm not sure what that is. I'll have to Google it.

I wonder do they require maths graduates for producing odds? Or what level of maths education betting companies look for?

Yep they do require good Maths graduates behind the scenes working through the odds and probability etc so that they are set for the best outcome. I knew of a guy who did Maths in university and was also crazily knowledgeable of the lower league soccer scene in the UK and they snatched him up.

Maths grads are probably the most employable going. There are very few doors closed to you if you get a good honours degree.

eVery desirable in IT jobs especially along the lines of neural networks, statistical applications, DSS (decision support systems) as mentioned. Also in companies who use these systems e.g. large internationals, banks, insurance, risk managment etc..

Very desirable in IT jobs especially along the lines of neural networks, statistical applications, DSS (decision support systems)

To go into this what IT qualifications would a maths grad require since there are not many IT-related modules in a maths degree?

I have a friend who did a masters in Maths and got a well paid job in Met Eireann.

To go into this what IT qualifications would a maths grad require since there are not many IT-related modules in a maths degree?

They might require a primary IT degree on top of the mathematics one.

Very desirable in IT jobs especially along the lines of neural networks, statistical applications,

I would say these are statistics jobs and would follow very naturally from a stats degree rather than pure maths degreee - maths tends to be more theorectical than stats which tends to be more applied and more technology friendly. I think stats b.a.'s are more employer friendly.

Maths and stats qualifications are in huge demand at the moment in modelling risk in banks - this covers everything from models to pre-approve people for loans and credit cards, to modelling who is likely to default to operational risk and bank capital calculations - so there are lots of roles in regulation and dept of finance areas too.

The MSc in Business Analytics (discussed in a thread elsewhere in this forum) would take in a maths grad and set them up nicely for a career in business, whether Paddy Power or the likes of Murex or First Derivatives.

There's a big demand for maths graduates in financial services. Risk management is the new mantra in the light of recent spectacular failures in this area, particularly among the banks. Every institution wants professionals who can help determine the 1 in 200 or whatever probability of ruin, taking account of the multitude of risks to which an institution is exposed, and having regard to the the correlations between different types of risk - credit, market, operational, demographic, etc. Actuarial is the main such area, but there are other options which do not require the same level of post-graduate study or mathematical expertise.

Back