Maternity social benefit

L

Lilylee

I have worked in full time permanent employment up until xmas 06. In two weeks I start a new full time temporary employment. I fell pregnant in march just gone. I will work up until November this year. Am I entitled to the state maternity benifit?

Do you meet the qualifying conditions outlined here? If in doubt about your PRSI contribution history call SW and ask them.

If you have full stamps for 2005 you will qualify. If not then you may qualify on other grounds

...and you must in employment when you start your Maternity Leave

What happens in a case where the woman is off work sick, before the maternity leave starts. She is not receiving a wage, but receiving disability benefit.

Youa re still in employment if you have a job to go back to,even if you are in Illness Benefit at the moment. Here's the lot in detail....

"To qualify for Maternity Benefit, a claimant must -

be in employment which is covered by the Maternity Protection Act, 1994, immediately before the first day of her maternity leave. The last day of insurable employment may be within 16 weeks of the end of the week in which her baby is due. (If she ceases employment, her Maternity Leave must commence from the following day) and
be certified by her employer as entitled to maternity leave under the Maternity Protection Act, 1994 and
have her expected date of confinement certified by a registered medical practitioner and
have at least 39 weeks PRSI paid in the 12 months before the first day of her maternity leave
or
at least 39 weeks PRSI paid since first starting work and at least 39 weeks PRSI paid or credited in the Relevant Tax Year or in the year following the Relevant Tax Year
or
at least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the Relevant Tax Year and at least 26 weeks PRSI paid in the Tax Year prior to the Relevant Tax Year "

If you are let go from work just before you have a baby, (say a few days before) you won't qualify for maternity benefit. I assume therefore you would then qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit/Allowance as soon as you leave employment? But obviously you'd have to have proof you are actively seeking work. What "proof" is required? If you are not available to work due to being in hospital or similar, what is claimed in this period? What happens with your PRSI stamps during this? Is any of this effected by redundancy payments?

What "proof" is required?
SW may ask for evidence such as letters sent and answered.
If you are not available to work due to being in hospital or similar, what is claimed in this period?
You mean while ill or pregnant? If you're certified unable to work due to illness then you may qualify for illness/disability allowance/benefit or another similar payment. This does not apply to pregnancy as far as I know.
What happens with your PRSI stamps during this?
While signing on you usually (?) get PRSI credits for long term benefits as far as I know.
Is any of this effected by redundancy payments?
I presume that redundancy payments might impact the means test for means tested allowances but PRSI linked benefits are not affected by means.

If you are let go from work just before you have a baby, (say a few days before) you won't qualify for maternity benefit. I assume therefore you would then qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit/Allowance as soon as you leave employment? But obviously you'd have to have proof you are actively seeking work. What "proof" is required? If you are not available to work due to being in hospital or similar, what is claimed in this period? What happens with your PRSI stamps during this? Is any of this effected by redundancy payments?

You will. if you are let go within 16 weeks of your due date you can start your maternity leave then. So if in your case you are due to start maternity leave 01 Dec, baby due 15 Dec and you are let go 25 Nov your maternity leave starts 25 Nov and runs for 26 weeks from that date.

Not really. In effect you have been in employement immediatley prior to the MB starting. If you are let go more than 16 weeks prior to due date, then MB can't start and when it can, you won't qualify because of gap between employment and first possible MB start date (16 weeks prior to due date)!

Back