Maternity Query

Ally2004

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody can help me or shed some light. I had a baby 4 weeks ago and he was three months premature he was born at 27 weeks. The baby is currently in icu and will be there until July. I have called the citizens information and they have told me i can postpone maternity leave until 7days before the baby is due home as if i was to take it now iwould be back to work a couple of weeks later once baby is home in june. Now the lady i spoke to in citizens info said I should go out sick for time being as I had a c-section and cannot work. I went to gp yesterday and she refused to sign me off as she said I had to take maternity. Has anybody any info regarding this situation as at present there is absolutely no special leave entitlements for premature babies which seems very unfair considering nobody chooses to have a baby prematurely.

Thank you

Congratulations on the birth of your baby, hope he/she is doing ok. A friend of mine had her baby at 24 weeks and too had to start her maternity leave immediately. Its an unfortunate situation and there should indeed be a clause to ensure that mums to preemies dont lose out. Only thing I can suggest is u get a sick note from your gp when you are due back to work or discuss more leave from work when the time comes.

U can also defer some payment of your mat leave....as below.
Hospitalisation of baby

If your baby is in hospital and you have been receiving Maternity Benefit for at least 14 weeks you may postpone payment of your remaining 12 weeks (from 1 March 2007) Maternity Benefit for up to 6 months. To postpone payment of your Maternity Benefit you need to apply in writing to the Maternity Benefit Section in the Department of Social and Family Affairs. When your baby is discharged from hospital you must notify the Maternity Benefit Section in writing and payment of your remaining 12 weeks Maternity Benefit will continue within seven days.

Last edited:
Back