Maternity Leave

Caroline123

Hi,

I'm just lookin for some information on maternity leave.

I'm in my job a year and a half and would like to know where I would stand if I were to become pregnant in the near future?

Me and my partner have just got a mortgage. I'm worried sick that I might not be entitled to maternity leave as it's a small enough firm that I work for. I couldn't go without my wage as we're fairly dependant on it.

Can you give me any advice/info? How do you know if you qualify for it? How much is it for? etc.

If you are talking about your company paying your wages during your maternity leave, there is no obligation for a company to do so.

The short answer is that you are entitled to maternity leave, but you are not necessarily entitled to pay during maternity leave. You are probably entitled to maternity benefit, which is a social welfare payment based on how much PRSI you have paid and on your current salary.

Thanks for your advice so far, I think I kinda phrased it wrong. I gave the impression that I wanted to know about leave from employment. But, I'm actually looking to find out how I will cope financially if I get pregnant?

As we are fairly depandant on my wage. I need to know how much I will get per week whether from Social Welfare/my employer, if anything once the baby would be born?? :confused:

Hi, here's the current maternity benefit rates, taken from the DSFA website (www.welfare.ie).

The weekly rate of Maternity Benefit is calculated by dividing a woman's gross income in the relevant tax year by the number of weeks they actually worked in that year.
The rate of Maternity Benefit is 80% of this amount, subject to a minimum payment of €207.80 and a maximum payment of €280.00 per week. These rates are effective from 1st January 2007.
For claims made in 2007 the relevant tax year is 2005.
You may e-mail Maternity Benefit enquiries to [email protected]

Maternity benefit will last for 26 weeks for claims made after 1st March 2007.

Check out the welfare website for the qualifying conditions (http://www.welfare.ie/foi/maternityben.html)

Last edited:
Back