Maternity leave not mentioned in contract for new job

There is a ceiling in place on maternity benefit, so surely the salary paid would put you over that threshold straight away...

If your employer pays you your normal salary than the MB you are entitled to (based on a % of your usual basic salary) is paid to your employer.

So I guess you can't get more than your ususal salary and your MB goes to part fund you being full paid during your time away from employment(?)

Don't think you can have your cake and eat it, ie get salary and MB into your hand:)

I think you have finally become assimilated totally as a civil servant.;)

Believe it or not, this particular comment goes back to my time in a large US multinational (with an aggressive reputation for how they treated and used staff). I recruited a number of ladies of child-bearing age, and I would carefully ensure that I never raised any inappropriate issues. But it was almost refreshing when candidates would openly discuss such issues - it showed a degree of trust that such issues wouldn't be a factor in the recruitment decision.

Im sorry if i sound a bit confused but just to clarify:

You can get full pay from your emploer while on maternity
and get maternity benefit as well ??

first of all i do not believe one gets full pay AND the maternity benefit as well.

usually the way companies do it is as follows:

1. the employee get paid their normal full salary as per normal.
2. the state paid maternity benefit is given to the company.

therefore the actual cost to the company is "full salary minus the state paid maternity benefit".

the employee is no worst off as regards money. the employer is only paying the actual difference of the 2.

i believe this is the case in most multinationals. correct me if i am wrong...but i doubt i am. obviously other companies may administer it differently but i doubt the employee will get both their full pay AND the benefit.

--laoisfan

Maternity benefit is paid by the state to the woman. (You can choose to have your Maternity Benefit paid directly into your employer's bank account. This is entirely up to you)

Salary is paid by the employer.

Maternity benefit is completely separate from salary. If you have the PRSI record, you are entitled to maternity benefit whatever your employer pays you.

Your employer may pay no salary at all.
Your employer may continue to pay your full salary.
Your employer may reduce your salary by the amount of the benefit.
Your employer may reduce your salary by 1.75 times your benefit, so that the net figure is the same. (maternity benefit is not taxed)
Your employer may pay you three times your salary if they wish.

But whatever your employer does, the state will pay you maternity benefit.

Brendan

Back