Maternity Benefit entitlement- Relevant tax year for 2007 is 2005?

Babyboo

I am three months pregnant and I'm hoping that I will receive maternity benefit when I go on maternity leave. According to the welfare website, when applying for maternity benefit, the relevant tax year that they look at for 2007, is 2005. I took a year out of my job in October 2004 and I didn't return to the same job until October 2005 so effectively I wasn't working in Ireland for most of 2005. I didn't work in Europe either. I was in Canada. It's my understanding that this means that I have no PRSI contributions for that year. I am slightly concerned that I will not be entitled to maternity benefit now. Could somebody please shed some light on this for me?

Why not just call Welfare and ask them if you are "in benefit" for MB? If your records are up to date then they should be able to tell you straight off. At least then you know and if you are not entitled to MB then you can start making alternative plans.

Thanks for your reply and advice. I wanted to put the question out there first before I rang them. I took your advice anyway. The lady told me that as long as I am in insurable employment , I will be entitled to maternity benefit.

But did she check your specific records when you gave your PPSN? If that's all she said then it doesn't necessarily answer your question. I presume that you've already checked the Welfare website for details of the qualifying conditions?

2. How do I qualify?

I thought the same thing and I knew that would happen. That's why I used this site to put the question out first. I hate ringing them. I couldn't get a word in. I asked about my PSRI contributions for 2005 specifically. She cut across me and seemd flustered.
Yes, she checked my specific records cause she asked for my PPS number. I told her that I knew what my entitlements were in general from the website but could she check that my records were in order. I will call again and speak to someone else.

It seems clear from the following excerpt from Welfare's site that you are entitled to MB. Congrats on your pregnancy and best of luck!

To qualify for Maternity Benefit, you must satisfy one of the following PRSI contribution conditions. You must have:
  • at least paid 39 PRSI* contributions in the 12-month period before the first day of your maternity leave,
    or
  • at least 39 paid PRSI* contributions since first starting work and at least 39 paid or credited PRSI* contributions in the relevant tax year, or in the year following the relevant tax year,
    or
  • at least 26 paid PRSI* contributions in the relevant tax year and at least 26 paid PRSI* contributions in the tax year before the relevant tax year.

Back