maternity benefit denied-what now?

I

insider2

Please help me. I have had my maternity benefit application denied, because I do not have enough credits. i was in college but cannot get student credits for some reason!
i now have no source of income until i can return to work after the baby comes!
how do i sign for credits, so i don't lose them too?
i was in college from 2002-2005 and started work in 2006. i applied for student credits but for some reason didn't qualify!
what can i do?

Please help me. I have had my maternity benefit application denied, because I do not have enough credits. i was in college but cannot get student credits for some reason!
i now have no source of income until i can return to work after the baby comes!
how do i sign for credits, so i don't lose them too?
i was in college from 2002-2005 and started work in 2006. i applied for student credits but for some reason didn't qualify!
what can i do?

First of all, find out exactly why you did not qualify for student credits ('for some reason' is not good enough if you are trying to get your credits sorted out!). Appeal if necessary; if you have proof that you were a student then it may well get through. Appeals are a good way to re-examin a non-standard case, so don't be afraid to lauch one.

you can not claim student credits if you were over 21 when you were in college. if you were under you would be entitled to student credits.

Get your case appealed. I applied for student credits in my local social welfare office to be told I didn't qualify. No-one could help me. Tough luck etc. Everyone I spoke to was vague. I knew I was entitled as a college friend who did the same course and was in similar situation was given credits in the galway office. I persisted and it made all the difference to my claim. Insist on speaking to an inspector. Personally I found unless I fought tooth and nail for what I was enetitled to. Also found citizens advice bureau v helpful.

Advise you to speak to an Information Officer in the SW office, the details you have given here are very vague. Your Community Welfare Officer may be able to give you a dig out also if you fail to qualify for Mat.

thanks for all the advice. i was 18 when i started college, i was there 3 years and worked part time throughout. i am surprised i do not qualify. i am going down tomorrow to demand explanation.
thanks

Back