Maternity Benefit and Disability Benefit

jo4711

I apologise if this question has been asked before.

I'm on Disability Benefit for over 2 years and currently pregnant, due in May 2007.

My question is if I'm on disability am I entitled to Maternity benefit.

Thanks for taking the time to read this forum.

I don't think so judging by the qualification criteria for MB - in particular that you must be employed before hand:
2. How do I qualify?

To qualify for Maternity Benefit as an employee you must:
  • be in insurable employment that is covered by the Maternity Protection Act, 1994 immediately before the first day of maternity leave. The last day of insurable employment may be within 16 weeks of the end of the week your baby is due. If you cease employment your maternity leave must start from the following day,
    and
  • satisfy certain PRSI contribution conditions.
To qualify for Maternity Benefit as a self-employed person you must:
  • be in insurable self-employment,
    and
  • satisfy certain PRSI contribution conditions.

Hello,I was looking into this for a friend of mine other day and found this piece of information on the welfare.ie website on the freedom of information page:
"Disability Benefit Rate
The rate of Maternity Benefit is automatically compared to the rate of Disability Benefit that would be paid to the woman if she was absent from work through illness. The higher of the two rates is paid."
I don't know how this would apply to your situation or if it even would but it might be worth to call them directly or email ([email protected]) with your query.

Back