Maternity and after

S

sally_f

I am a single person in my early 20's and have recently discovered im pregnant. I'm really clueless about benefits and things and am hoping for a bit of advise here. I know that my job will give me maternity benefit but do I have to go back to work if i avail of it? Its a low paying job and I know I wont afford to work and pay childcare. Can i go on the dole after?

Welcome to AAM, sally_f, and congrats! :)

You'll find all the info ; the short answer is that no, once you're eligible, you're entitled to 22 weeks of maternity benefit (previously 18 weeks) whether or not you subsequently return to work.

sally_f said:
I know that my job will give me maternity benefit
Your job may pay salary in part or full during maternity leave but it is Social Welfare who pay Maternity Benefit. Some employers pay normal salary less the amount of Social Welfare MB that you receive. Others pay 100% of salary. Some employers may place restrictions on when and how they pay such salary - check your contract of employment of clarification.
but do I have to go back to work if i avail of it?
Depends on your contract.
Its a low paying job and I know I wont afford to work and pay childcare. Can i go on the dole after?
You can only claim Unemployment Benefit/Assistance if you are actively seeking and available for work. Not otherwise.

See , Welfare and Revenue for information on other benefits to which you may be entitled. If in doubt contact your local for advice on your entitlements.

As Clubman says it depends on what you plan to do after your baby is born.

In general a woman who has finished Maternity Benefit will not get Unemployment Benefit as the rules are quite strict. You would have to prove that you are genuinely seeking full-time work.

You should apply for One-Parent Family Payment (OFP) as soon as your baby is born. This is means tested. http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw82.pdf

There's a lot of myths and rumours about working and getting OFP. People think that the income disregard of €146.50 is an income limit but it's not.

If you do return to work after your Maternity Benefit, you could also qualify for Family Income Supplement (FIS). http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw22.pdf

Hope this hasn't confused you. If you need more information, PM me.

Good luck with the baby

Back