Massive civil engineering project 80% complete in rural area. Too late to object?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novic

A semi state body is currently carrying out a massive construction project adjacent to my home.

The project comprises building a bridge with approaching roads on both sides.

The process went through planning and no objections were placed with the local authority. However, now that the project is 80% completed it is clear to everyone that more attention should have been given at the planning stage.

The height and gradient of the bridge is so steep that it will pose enormous problems for travellers during bad weather. The bridge is situated in a rural area and has destroyed the landscape of the countryside. Is it possible at this late stage to object to this project with the view of possibly altering the design?

It may sound strange that there were no objections but nobody could imagine that a structure of this magnitude would emerge.

Is there any public body such as an ombudsmans office who could argue the case as the organisation involved is noted for being difficult to deal with?

Apologies if I have posted to the wrong forum but I could not find anything similar on the site.

I think the Sites, Planning Self-Builds and Extensions Forum might be more appropriate and perhaps one of the moderators might oblige by moving this thread.
In relation to your query, the precedent you may need would seem to be the actions of protest movements in recent years that were a reaction to successful approvals of infrastructural works.
Some of these have caused reviews, particularly in relation to sites which have an important historical context or which had an historical object, settlement, building or artifact on them.
However as you have already pointed out, neither you nor your neighbours most affected by this proposed development seemed to have paid sufficient attention to it at the planning stage.

It is important for people and communities near major developments to review them at the following stages -

1 Proposal Stage
2 Zoning stage
3 Compulsory Purchase Stage
4 Preparation Stage
5 Works Execution
6 Completion Stage

If you're serious about affecting this development, you will need to put your hand in your pocket just to see if you have a chance of succeeding at this late stage.
You will need to review the stages the proposed development passed through to ensure the statutory requirements of each stage were met - e.g.

- Zoning
- Planning
- Environmental Impact Statements
- European Regulations
- Habitat Directives
- Historic sites Directives
- Wetlands and SAC Directives
- Special Areas of Conservation

To achieve this, you may need to retain competent planning and perhaps other professionals to assess that correct procedures were followed and advise you were to take your complains.
I note that waiting until the project is 80% completed is likely to undermine the success of your protest.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matter at hand.

Is the bridge over a river? If so, chances are it is quite high so as to comply with OPW regulations with regards to flooding.

..massive construction project adjacent to my home.

The project comprises building a bridge with approaching roads on both sides.

The height and gradient of the bridge is so steep that it will pose enormous problems for travellers during bad weather.

The bridge is situated in a rural area and has destroyed the landscape of the countryside.

Does the bridge form part of the public roads network? If it does then it was designed in conjucntion with the roads authority. You might consider contacting the roads authority (NRA or Council) to satisfiy yourself that the approved design has been complied with.

You should also check the planning for the project and in particular the Environmental Impact Statement. What does it say about impact on the visual ammentiy of the area?

Is the bridge over a railway, river, canal, another road or something else?

Actually the design of an NRA approved route may have several stringent requirements for gradients, etc - you might need an engineer's advice to interpret these. :)

Can you post the name of the scheme so one could do a bit of digging on it's planning stages?

I would be wary of conducting an investigation of this matter through AAM.

The OP has made several allegations which are not well-supportedl

The height and gradient of the bridge is so steep that it will pose enormous problems for travellers during bad weather. The bridge is situated in a rural area and has destroyed the landscape of the countryside.
These may prove to be fair comment, but in and of themselves they could be taken as alleging negligence in the part of the professionals who have designed the bridge - this is why this needs to be dealt with in RL.

Also it appears that neither the OP nor anyone else objected through the prescribed channels - a matter of €20 and a 1 page letter - which would have allowed them to lodge an Appeal with An Bórd Pleanála.

The process went through planning and no objections were placed with the local authority.
The planing process appears to be complete, therefore there is nothing to be gained by reviewing the planning stages unless the OP intends to review items covered under EU directives.

I would respectfully suggest that this may all well outside the remit of a forum like AAM.

There may even be political issues involved in its progress and resolution to date.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matter at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back