Married over two years- never told tax office

ericsson

Hi there looking for some advice. I got married a little over two years ago and it was only when we were talking about tax and credits etc in work the ther day, that I realised you have to inform the tax office when you get married. I don't know why but I guess I always thought they found out automatically (naïve I now know!). Both myself and my other half are public sector workers and have very little dealing with the tax man (bar what comes out of our wages every fortnight).

I own my own house which I bought on my own nearly 6 years ago. This is now our martial home and is still in my name. My oh is divorced and owns a house with his ex-wife. She lives in this house with his children. He pays child maintenance and contributes partly towards the mortgage on this house. As far as I am aware I am receiving tax relief for my mortgage and he is receiving tax relief on his share of his mortgage with his ex.

I'm now in a terrible panic that we haven't told the tax office that we are married as one of my colleagues were saying that we can't both be claiming mortgage tax relief because we are married and therefore he essentially owns half of my house. Now I'm terrified to phone the tax office for fear that I will end up owing them thousands....

Does anyone know where I stand?

as one of my colleagues were saying that we can't both be claiming mortgage tax relief because we are married and therefore he essentially owns half of my house.

That's total nonsense for a start and stop panicking. Just pick up the phone or drop into revenue and have your marital status amended and take it from there. Revenue are generally very easy to deal with. Cases like yours are two a penny.

Thanks a million for taking the time to reply all. Feeling happier now. Think I might pop into the tax office next week to sit down an have a chat with someone.

Back