married & on different tax bands

M

Mrniceguy

Simple question I know and has probably been asked already.
We are a married couple with earnings of €80K & €2K and obviously on different rates. What is the tax we would be expected to paid in total not taking credits into consideration? We are separately assessed and submit a request at the end of the year to the revenue to adjust any unused credits and single cut off rates and transfer to the higher earner but I always expected more than was rebated and was wondering if it was been calculated properly - usually receive a rebate of around €3.5K.

Max SRCOP and all tax credits should be transferred to the 80K spouse. There will be no need to make any reclaim at the end of the year if this is done.

Applying the above figures to 2006 it would be:
41K @ 20%
39K @ 42%
&
2K @ 20%

Less all tax credits
= Tax bill for the year

Last edited:
We are a married couple with earnings of €80K & €2K and obviously on different rates. What is the tax we would be expected to paid in total not taking credits into consideration?
Does [broken link removed] help? Enter the figures separately as if you were two single people and ignore the deduction of tax credits on the end of year tax bill?
We are separately assessed and submit a request at the end of the year to the revenue to adjust any unused credits and single cut off rates and transfer to the higher earner
Why do you do it that way rather than joint/aggregated taxation?
but I always expected more than was rebated and was wondering if it was been calculated properly - usually receive a rebate of around €3.5K.
Perhaps also request P21 balancing statements for the past 4 years and see if that makes any difference?

Post crossed with Ham Slicer's.

Thanks Ham Slicer - I think the unused SRCOP is not being transferred to the higher earner.

Back