Married Couple - tax assessed as single, but would it be better to be joint assessed?

Sanparom

Disclaimer - I'm lacking in knowledge when it comes to tax issues, so please go easy on me!

We got married in 2009. Partner was public servant until March 2019 when he took voluntary redundancy. He started contract work in May 2019. His yearly earnings would total on average circa 105k. I am a public servant and my salary is 64k.

I was advised years ago by revenue to continue to be taxed as a single person as there wasn't a huge difference between our salaries. There is now though. Would it be more beneficial to us to be jointly assessed? Husband is obviously classed as self-employed now due to the nature of his job, so I'm not sure how this all works. Something to ask his accountant?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you could give.

Joint assessment would be of no benefit.

It’s only helpful where one spouse earns less than circa €36k a year.

Yes...what can a married couple do?

Well they can share their Personal Tax Credits (€1,650) and one spouse can get an enhanced Standard Rate Cut Off Point (to the tune of circa €10k).

But these are really only of benefit if one spouse earns very little or nothing at all (i.e. less than circa €36k).

Would your advice be to remain as we are? I don't want to change things and then end up receiving less money (if that's possible).

Back